Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New power supply broken?

• Please log in to reply

Dave1975

Dave1975

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got a new power supply today and when I put it in my computer nothing happened when I hit the power button. I took it out of the computer and put the old one back in and the old one works fine. (but still noisy)

I did have one problem with one of the new connectors, it was opposite of the old one and my motherboard. The four pin connector that goes to the middle of my motherboard. (the 20 pin one went in fine) There are two that are sqaure all around and the other two are square but rounded at the bottom, well they are opposite of the board, meaning the square ones were matching up to the partially rounded ones...

Could that be the probelm? I was able to put it in still but it went in two ways, there is no latch on it so i didnt know which side was up or down. I tried it both ways, and neither worked.

Does the psu have to be connected to the motherboard for the fan on it to run? I tried connecting it to the wall and it doesn't come on at all. I did use the power switch on the back of it and made sure that the other switch was fully on 115v.

Maybe I just got the wrong psu and it won't work with my computer? Or does it sound like the new one is just broken?

old psu: A1 ATX 400W 115/230v 7.5A/4.5A (Model WIN-400PS)

new psu: BFG 650W 115/230V ATX 12V 2.0/EPS12V (Model TP60407342)

Advertisements

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
It sounds to me like the power supply is no good. I recently bought a BFG power supply and had no probs with it. Take it back.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If you want to test you powersupply with a paperclip, in order to rule it out as a possible cause of the problem, disconnect all the leads, the one to the wall too, bend a paperclip into a U shape, look at the lead that goes from the power supply to the motherboard (ATX PSU's 20-pin motherboard connector), see the green wire line in hole and the black wire line in hole, put the paperclip ends in those holes(green and black) replug mains to the wall, switch on computer.

http://www.techarp.c...rtno=268&pgno=0