Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Lexmark Z617

• Please log in to reply

Althaea

Althaea

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello there!
I'm haveing trouble installing a Lexmark printer. In the Device Manager I have an USB Printer->InkJet Color Printer, but no Lexmark icon in the Printers folder and no program either. Every time I try to install it it sais it can't find this or that file (different every time I try a different method: update driver, add printer or simply run the CD). The files are there.
Any ideas, anyone?
Thank you very much!
Althaea

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
check list:
runbox command
- press: winkey + r
- paste this: control printers
- press: enter
is the printer showing there

second idea
runbox command
- press: winkey + r
- paste this: devmgmt.msc
- press: enter
righthandclick the icon you mention
choose uninstall
now disconnect the printer too
load cd and install program 100%
then connect printer
if at a certain moment it say connect the printer then do so but not until asked.

feedback please

Edited by fleamailman, 11 October 2006 - 01:24 PM.

Althaea

Althaea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for takeing the time to check in my problem and help me sort it out.
First idea: No, I don't have the printer there.
Second idea: It sais it can't find that file. :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I am working blind here, we know that somewhere on the cd, are those drivers(this is I take it a new printer then),

Some questions first:
- did you conect the printer and then ran the installation, as normally it is better to do it the other way round, if so uninstall program from the add/remove program(runbox: appwiz.cpl), disconect printer too, reinstall program first and then conect printer either when it asks or at the end
- did you contact the maker's site about this
- have you searched on the cd itself for the driver, by the righthandclick explore option, anything looking like the drivers there

um, I am running out of ideas but let me know please

Edited by fleamailman, 12 October 2006 - 01:37 PM.

Althaea

Althaea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your interest regarding my problem. I'll try my best to provide you with the information you need.
Yes, this is a new printer. I pluged it in and the ran the installing CD, because that's what the installing guide sais. As a result I had in the Device Manager a USB printer->InkJet Color Printer (which I take it was installed by Windows), BUT I didn't have a printer in the My Computer ->Printers. The installation from the CD runs automatically up to a point then it sais it can't find a file (that does exist on the CD). Seeing I'm not getting anywhere with the CD, I went to the manufacturer's website, I downloaded the driver (I made sure was the correct one) and I got the same result. Installation runs up to a point and then it sais it can't find a file (that DOES exist in the folder).
I tried manually installling the printer useing the driver from the CD then the one I downloaded. Same result.
I uninstalled everything, unplugged the printer and started all over again. Same result.
It's not that I can't find the driver, I can't install the printer.
As a side note, the installation doesn't prompt me to plug in the printer at any point. I can't install it unless it's pluged in and turned on.
Thank you again,
Althaea

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Well you have done everything that I would do, stumped, but I would go back to the maker's site where there usually is a email contact place on it, and write them the details, also upon their reply could you let me know what the answer is, I pass now but perhaps someone else reading this can advise, sorry

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
98 doesn't support USB 2.0and that may be the problem.....98 SE does....what version are you running...also try to get any USB drivers available for your mobo

Edited by happyrck, 14 October 2006 - 10:03 AM.

Althaea

Althaea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello again!
Thank you fleamailman and happyrck, for taking interest in my problem. To answer your question, I'm running Win 98 SE... so that shouldn't be an issue. (Furthermore I have a stick mp3 player that's a USB 2.0 and I can use it just fine...)
I called the Lexmark technical support and that guy didn't tell me anything I haven't tried allready. He called back after he installed the driver on a PC there... he said it worked like a charm. He did say however that if the USB port is on the motherboard and the driver for it was installed from the mobo's drivers... that might be a problem since Windows drivers might not be compatible. So I uninstalled the entire USB port and reinstalled it with Windows Update drivers. Still no go. :whistling:
I even thoroughly scaned and checked my PC for viruses, spyware and all that... Or at least that's what I think I did. The results were a few spyware which were removed and no viruses found. I used CCleaner, Spybot Search &Destroy (which crashed several times... and I still can't use it due to some wierd window that doesn't show all the buttons: I can't select Allow to modify registry...) then Ad- Aware SE Personal and then ran a complete test with AVG... It took the entire Saturday to do it all... Before all this I've used Kaspersky... didn't give me any headaches... Prior I had BitDefender, the free version found online that totally and completlly sucked me out of resources... so our relationship didn't last very long.
So... do you guys have any ideas? Is there something I've done wrong? I keep thinking it's the Win 98's fault...
Thanks again,
Althaea

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
my fault, I always fear asking, comp type, comp exact os flavor, and comp age because people think me rude to do so,

Althaea, ask the techy where on the cd the windows 98 driver folder is, (and which the actual driver is)we can try installing the driver directly then after that connecting the deivice and finally installing the program( sorry means uninstalling the program and disconnecting the device first, bet you are fed up with doing that by now) or it is time to go back to the shop saying that it is broken, and getting them to prove that it isn't

sorry then FYI, if there is a USB port, it means that it is win98se

Edited by fleamailman, 16 October 2006 - 08:52 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have another printer already installed and hooked to the computer...if so try disconnecting it.. I've had a couple of problems installing printers in the past...both HP multifunction...had to actually uninstall any other printers and their software to get the HP's installed..then I could reinstall the other printers...HP does not play well with others...
another thing...make sure the printer is plugged directly to the computer...not thru a USB hub as this can sometimes cause troubles...I will be offline for 2 days due to traveling..if you haven't got it solved by then I will continue to try to help you get it fixed

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
might want to go down this checklist

To achieve proper USB connectivity six basic system elements must be present and working correctly.

1) Support from the BIOS

2) Support from the Operating System

3) Physical USB ports

4) A USB Device

5) The correct USB cable for the device

6) Drivers either from the OS and/or the peripheral make

Cleanup the Device Manager / Windows Safe Mode

From initial installation problems to suddenly not working USB, cleaning up the Device Manager in Safe mode is the first step in Win9X troubleshooting. Many hardware related problems in Windows can be traced to ghost and/or duplicate device entries. Obsolete and/or duplicate devices can ONLY be seen and removed from the Device Manager while in Windows Safe Mode.

Edited by happyrck, 16 October 2006 - 09:20 AM.

Althaea

Althaea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow.... You guys are REALLY prompt!!! :))
So... fleamailman: I know where the driver is on the CD. There is this: E:\Drivers\Win_9X\ENGLISH where a lexbcpr.inf file can be found. There is also a lexbcusb.inf and a lexbcpr.inf in E:\... I tried them all *sigh*... With add new printer, add new hardware, printer connected, printer disconnected, remove everything, refresh, found new hardware, next next next..(infinite loop). *zbang*... Ok... Any combination of those... It's the same everytime.
ahh... regarding my pc... it's a little old fellow... with 64 ram, intel celeron at 333Mhz... we went through some ruff times... we get mad at eachother and sometimes refuse to cooperate... but in the end we find a way to get along.
taking back the printer... that will have one immediate result: my dad will disown me as a ungreatfull, disrespectfull and.. what was theother thing again?... oh yes :help: indolence daughter I am. If I can't find a way to make it work, I think I'll just sell it, buy a SH one and try to have a calm discusion with my dad about it... It might even get me some extra cache :blink:
And happyrck: there is no other printer installed. I've checked and double checked to erase anything related to any other printer. Yeah... you are right... HP can be very tricky... but this one is a Lexmark...
As for your check list... The picture shows what I have in Device Manager. I also use an USB keyboard (it get's detected at start-up), a camera on USB and the mp3 player (which has a USB 2.0 and does work on my PC)... and the cable... it's the one I use for the camera... and the camera works. Do I still need to check the BIOS?
Thanks again for all your time and help!!
PS... is there anyway I can become a geek in training?? :whistling:
Althaea

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
cannot win them all

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you said " it's a little old fellow... with 64 ram, intel celeron at 333Mhz "
with those system specs you will have trouble finding a "NEW "printer that will work...check the system requirements before buying another one