Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New guy - hardware error 0x00996BC - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

kyle@ibm

kyle@ibm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello All.

First, i'd like to thank the owners of the site and the staff that provide such great help. I've browsed the forums for a while now when i needed an answer, and until now i've always found it.

So here's my dilemma. I'm working on a bosses computer trying to install Symantec (whole 'nother probem in itself!!) when this error pops up. It does it when the machines boots into windows, and at random both during operation, and idle. The error essentially states that it has caused a problem, and addresses 0x00996BC calling 0x0000000.

I'm not sure if this could be hardware related or not, so i'm putting his drive in another machine to rule that one out. If it doesn't rectify the problem, i'm at a loss as to the next step. Could it be RAM? Something software/registry related? Any advice at this point would be welcomed.

Please help! Thank you in advance.

Kyle @ IBM.

My apologies, the error is actually "0x009996BC", note the extra 9.

It says the memory at 0x000000 can't be written to.

TIA.

Advertisements

kyle@ibm

kyle@ibm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Update, swapped the HD into a new machine with 1 - 512mb stick of RAM, still having the same issue.

I'm leaning towards a bad disk now.. anyone have thoughts on this? I'd much appreciate it!!

kyle@ibm

kyle@ibm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
...bueller?