Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question re Domain copyright

• Please log in to reply

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi everyone, I am about to launch a website and the domain I wish to register as a .co.uk is already registered as a .com name.

My question basically is this:

If someone else has the same domain name as mine but theres is .com whereas mine will be .co.uk are there any legal/copyright site problems that could occur atall?

Although my site will be a totally different concept to theirs the domain names will just be the same.

Thanks,

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Normally no, but, to be on the safe side, I normally contact the owner of the said site.

--bmwboy

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I cannot see that they would have a leg to stand on if they were to have issue with it.

Why? Because when you purchase a domain name you do have the option of purchasing many others with different extensions (.net, .org, .info, .biz, etc).

If they did not purchase them then my guess is they are not overly concerned about their brand. I know if I had a very unique brand, product or something that would easily be associated with my name I would purchase all of the ones I could afford for the very reason that someone could use one of them regardless of their product/services.

I agree that contacting them is the "right" thing to do, but I would again say that it would not be required.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and by no means to be construed as legal advice.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
notch took the words out of my mouth :whistling:

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks for the advice guys,

I did email the .com owner of the domain and they said aslong as it doesn't have anything to do with their topic then that is fine.

Well basically it's a site about London buses. Her site basically is just full of pictures of people travelling on the double deker buses in London.

My site whilst not being pictures of travellers, will be based around a theme involving travellers on the buses trains so I guess it is along the same "concept" as her site.

Should I just register it anyway? I've tried thinking of another domain, but I want that one as it fits within what the site will be about, and is a pretty quirky name.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
listen, i would, but then again, you are not me. you have to make your own decision. i might go to a cheap lawyer and see, but then agian, i might do that.