Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netscape Password Problem

• Please log in to reply

stupidlady

stupidlady

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Stupid Newbie....Please Help.

When I try to change my password on my Netscape email acct, I hit submit & This message appears:

"HTTP Status 400 - Bad Request
Your browser sent a query that this server could not understand. The query could not be decrypted."

I dunno what it means. There's NOTHING at all like it in the Netscape Help section.
I've changed my password there before without a problem. That was months ago. Now it won't let me.

Has someone hacked into my email & put something there to prevent me from changing my password? Is this even possible? I deleted all my emails at once after I discovered this, but fear my private emails were compromised.

I've run 'trend micro' scans & Spybot S&D. I've cleaned all the bad stuff out using these. Nothing helped.

I'm still getting the same error message every time I try to change. I had NO problems changing all my other passwords. Even Paypal.

Coincidently, this was the only email acct had emails I wished to keep private. So, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I've searched this forum somewhat & cannot find anything at all about a problem like this.
Netscape wants a $10.00 fee for help....
I'm afraid my emails may have been compromised before I deleted them all.

I pray someone can answer this....
Any help at all is welcomed & appreciated.

I don't understand MOST of what's in this forum.
I apoligize for my ignorance.

Thank you so much for your help. ;)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Were you using the Password Manager which is part of Netscape Mail or were you trying to change your password on one of the mail accounts you have set up in Netscape Mail to get your mail?

As far as I know, you can not change your password on the accounts without going to the account's secure site for this and you need only login with old password, find your link to "change password" and enter the required information. You need old password and new password to do this on most mail accounts sites. Some may require you to answer the security questions, but that's usually used when you have requested a lost password.

For your account information, server settings and other pertinent info, look under Edit>Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings in Netscape Mail's menu.

Ron

stupidlady

stupidlady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

As far as I know, you can not change your password on the accounts without going to the account's secure site for this and you need only login with old password, find your link to "change password" and enter the required information.  You need old password and new password to do this on most mail accounts sites. ........

Ron

View Post

Yes....as quoted, Major Payne, this is exactly what I did. Last time I changed my password this way on Netscape without a problem. It was a few months ago. Now, I decided to change all my passwords everywhere, not just Netscape. Everything else worked fine. Everything that is, BUT Netscape! The whole thing is creeping me out.

On another help site I was told to remove aol screen name cookies from the cookie manager. I did this. No change, I got the same error code when trying to change the password.

Also I was told there, to remove the Netscape Webmail Cookie, which I couldn't find (or perhaps not identify?) There are so many Netscape cookies, all with funny symbols/numbers I was unsure what to do. What happens if I remove them all?
Will Netscape still even work?

Thank you kindly for your response Major Payne.

I don't know if what I've provided here will give you any inkling what I should do next...But I'm open to suggestions, as long as I can understand them.
Oh BTW...I use Cox High Speed Internet, & have been the whole time.
Thanks again.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Also I was told there, to remove the Netscape Webmail Cookie, which I couldn't find (or perhaps not  identify?) There are so many Netscape cookies, all with funny symbols/numbers I was unsure what to do. What happens if I remove them all?
Will Netscape still even work?
Oh BTW...I use Cox High Speed Internet, & have been the whole time.
Thanks again.

View Post

Since you're using Win 98 SE, I take it that you are using IE 6.0 as your browser.

I thought you were using Netscape Mail like what I have where it goes and gets your mail from your POP3 accounts set up on it. Something like Outlook Express. Just tried to sign up for a free Web account using Netscape's Account Wizard. Now I have a problem because it's hanging on me after clicking the Next button! :tazz:

As to your cookies, try this :

1) Move your Netscape cookies to a new folder where you can find them again. Just label it Cookies Backup or some such. Heck, move all of them if you wish. This is just in case you have problems and want to restore them to original folder. I've never had problems deleting all of mine, but some I like to keep for sites I know about where it makes visiting/navigating site easier.
2) Please double check your Internet Options in IE for Netscape. Might visit this site as it has good instructions on how to do this :
Working With Internet Explorer 6 security Settings
3) You do empty your cache periodically? How often depends what has been set aside in Internet Options for disk space. Just clear the history although if you use Maintenance Wizard once a week in System Tools, this shouldn't be the problem.

Try again with cookies and Netscape's URL set in as in 2) above and let me know how it goes. Will have to see what my problem is with the Account Wizard. Wanted to sign up and see if I could duplicate your problem and it wont let me! ;)

Ron

stupidlady

stupidlady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
MajorPayne, Thanks for the reply.

I'm using Netscape 7.2 as a browser. My main email goes through Cox's Pop Mail, using Outlook Express, via an email client (?) Incredimail...I know this one somehow only works with Explorer, for me. At least this is from what I have gathered. I really have little understanding of how it all comes together & works. Someone helped me set it all up, over a year ago, when I was using Explorer as a browser.
(I have been using mainly Netscape for some time now)

However, I have several other email accts including the Netscape email acct. ALL other passwords have been changed successfully on everything that uses passwords, & by using Netscape 7.2 as a browser to change them with. All, except the Netscape email acct. which gives that error message. Like I said, I've already changed it once B/4, without a problem.

As far as moving cookies to a new folder....I have yet to figure out how to do this.
All I know is how to delete them. I will find out & try, when someone's here to help me.
I will let you know what happens, if anything.

Thanks very much for your patience & the link, it did provide some useful information to me.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you been able to resolve your problem? Still tracking this topic.

Ron

stupidlady

stupidlady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sadly, the problem still exists...I've tried, & failed, but really haven't had enough time to put into this. Have gotten very busy with other things in life.
I'll keep trying as time allows.

Thanks for asking Major Payne.
And for all your help.