Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP installation issue (BSOD)

• Please log in to reply

karlbond88

karlbond88

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a very serious problem, i need to reinstall XP so i formatted my HDD and installed W98 (my XP wont boot from dos for some gay reason).

I installed W98 like i normally have to do, then i startup the XP setup and select 'New Installation (Advanced)' and it performs the processes like normal, then it will reboot as it should do, then it shows the two options in dos, the 1st one is 'Microsoft Windows' (which is 98), the 2nd is 'Windows XP Setup' i select this one.

It then goes into the Windows XP setup in DOS, it runs through the processes (shown on the grey bar at the bottem), then the bar says Starting Windows Setup, shortly after the screen goes black and then goes to the Blue Screen saying that windows has shutdown to prevent damage to your harddrive.

This keeps happening and i am totally screwed if i can't get this to work (i need my pc for college) :whistling:

Please help! :blink:

Advertisements

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
There is no need to load 98 prior to loading XP. If you put the CD in and start the computer, it should boot directly to the cd. If it doesn't, then you need to adjust your BIOS settings to allow this. When booting the PC, the Del key or the F2 key are the two most common keys to press to enter the BIOS. You should have a read at http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html He has a very easy to follow procedure written that should have you going in no time.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i said though that this CD will NOT boot from DOS, all other operating system CDs (like my dads media center will boot) i have a set of error codes: 0x000000ED (0x8674F2D0 0xc000014F 0x00000000 0x00000000)

My file system is not damaged as i have deleted the partition and created a fresh one.
I do not use a UDMA controller.
i have removed all unnessecary hardware from my PC.

please help im in desperate need :whistling:

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Is this an original XP cd, a restore disk, or a copy? And is saying anything about an unmountable boot volume?

Edited by crash override, 13 October 2006 - 07:42 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't install Windows XP from DOS. You change the boot order in the BIOS of your computer so that the computer attempts to boot from the CD/DVD drive first. Then SAVE changes and exit BIOS and your computer will reboot. When you see the message press any key to boot from cd..., hit a key and windows setup will begin. You will then be allowed to delete the current partition and create a new one and format it. Once the drive is formatted, Windows XP will begin to be installed on your computer. Just follow along with the onscreen instructions.

Fenor

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
That is what I told him, but he indicates that the system won't boot from the cd. Apparently it works if he uses his dad's MCE cd.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes that is correct, my dad's MCE for his HTPC will boot from CD, so will my old W98 CD, but my XP CD will not, i try and it just ignores the fact that the CD is in the drive. Im gonna ask my web design teacher at college if i can bring it in for him to help (he teaches hardware and binary too)

Look i know it is stupid that it wont boot from DOS, im quite f*cked off that i have to keep installing 98 first but there is nothing i can do to change the fact that it does that.

Please i got college work to do and i need my PC to do work at home if i need to.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

i said though that this CD will NOT boot from DOS, all other operating system CDs (like my dads media center will boot) i have a set of error codes: 0x000000ED (0x8674F2D0 0xc000014F 0x00000000 0x00000000)

My file system is not damaged as i have deleted the partition and created a fresh one.
I do not use a UDMA controller.
i have removed all unnessecary hardware from my PC.

please help im in desperate need :whistling:

Its the original CD, but the CD is scratches quite abit, would that affect it?

I am good with windows but if there is a problem with DOS then my skills are limited.

again these are the error codes: 0x000000ED (0x8674F2D0 0xc000014F 0x00000000 0x00000000)

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

again these are the error codes: 0x000000ED (0x8674F2D0 0xc000014F 0x00000000 0x00000000)

If the cd is scratched, then that is most likely the problem. There is a spot on the disk that is needed in order to be able to boot, if it is scratched enough then it does not boot. If you go to bootdisk.com you can download the 6 startup floppies that accomplish the same thing as booting from the cd. It will also eliminate the need to install 98 first. You'll still need the XP cd, but the floppies start the initial setup.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

If the cd is scratched, then that is most likely the problem. There is a spot on the disk that is needed in order to be able to boot, if it is scratched enough then it does not boot. If you go to bootdisk.com you can download the 6 startup floppies that accomplish the same thing as booting from the cd. It will also eliminate the need to install 98 first. You'll still need the XP cd, but the floppies start the initial setup.

Thank you, your a god! :whistling:

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
You are welcome. Don't know if I would say I was a deity as there really was no divine intervention LOL.

Hope you get it running again. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by crash override, 13 October 2006 - 10:35 AM.

karlbond88

karlbond88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
me again, it's working now, im not my PC and im just installing my backups and programs, thanks alot! :whistling:

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Glad to hear it.