Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E-Mail Spam ? New account never sent or received

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have had a hookup with Charter for awhile now and have been receiving junk mail. This is not the problem. I just figured that My wife or I had let our e-mail address leak out some how. So I just delete the crap. Alot of them are about cheap meds and good stocks. Not really a big deal to delete them.

Now here is the problem. I recently opened an account for my kids to use. They have never sent or received any e-mails. So after I setup the e-mail accounts I went to show them how to send and receive e-mail. All the accounts (3 one for each child) that I opened had the same spam mail. Still about Cheap Meds and Good stocks. And, I know for a fact that they (my kids) didn't give the address to anyone. They couldn't they didn't even know they had one yet.

How could the address for the other account get out there?
Do you think Charter is selling the addresses?
What could I do to prevent this?
Could I report this to someone? (if they are selling the address data)

Edited by duley3, 12 October 2006 - 11:14 AM.

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
happened to me all the time. jk, There might be spywares on your computer. Did your kids happen to chat in the chatroom? That could be it.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Did your kids happen to chat in the chatroom

No, They are not in any chat rooms or use any I M's

I done a complete scan for spyware and such. I used a couple of different ones.

I just don't understand how the emails got out there. Some of them e-mails on this account even have adult content... :help: :blink: :whistling:

I have 3 kids I found out that only one of the accounts is getting this crap. So I then changed the address to somethibng else (still @charter.net) and still getting the crap. I also checked all of the parent controls and All 3 have the same settings.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Probably Charter were selling addresses from a-z.Posted Image