Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking?!

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I just bought a DFI Lanparty Motherboard and ive OCed my Athlon 64 3800+ to 2.8 Ghz and when i play games after 10 mins i hear a high pitch noise coming from the CPU and then my FPS drop to 30-20 from around 100.

Any1 know what this is? Any help would be great cause i can notice the speed difference lol.

Thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If you're hearing noises and getting unstable performance from an OCd CPU, then chances are you are pushing it too hard. The best idea is to incrementally(0.1Ghz at a time) drop the speed on your CPU and see if you continue to get the same performance issues. If you reach a speed at which all of the problems stop, then that is the best you are going to get out of that CPU. Trial and error is often the best way to judge the OC ability of a CPU as every CPU and Mobo are different.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Have you had any luck isolating the issue?

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah it was CPU Throttling. Im trying to get a stable 2.8Ghz but no luck so far keeps freezing in windows. In the BIOS I changed the FSB to 232 and the Vcore to 1.56v and the RAM to DDR400 so its running around 262Mhz atm. What can I do to make it more stable. Yesterday I got it stable and playing CS:S for around 30 mins but then it frooze again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try loosening up your memory timings...use everest home to benchmark the memory...you might be suprised to see that by doing that the read write speeds in increase...anyways its helpful to see whats going on when your changing the timings and it runs quickly...think seconds

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
How would i be able to do that ive tryed changing the lactancys but i just get BSODs

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what have you got the timings set at...you can also set them to auto

Edited by happyrck, 14 October 2006 - 05:07 PM.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
2.5-3-3-7 and ive ran my CPU at 2.7Ghz stable and then memory is at 450Mhz.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you get everest and benchmark your memory...write down the results..

try 2.5 4 4 8 then run the benchmarks again...compare

Edited by happyrck, 15 October 2006 - 11:39 AM.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
The 2.5-3-3-7 gets only slighty higher Read and Write MB/s and low lactency than 2.5-4-4-8.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
set them to auto and benchmark again

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
The lactancys lower at 48.8 and the read and write speeds are lower by about 40mb.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have to leave on a trip in about a hr...i will be offline at least thru tomorrow nite...if you haven't got it figured out by then I will start helping try to figure it out...there are other people that may help while I'm gone..sorry we didn't get-er-done

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I think it might be the RAM cause its only DDR400 running at 450mhz stable at a 2700Mhz CPU Clock. Its alright now. Now i know of 2 things to invest in a pair of 2GB low lactancy RAM and a New mointor lol