Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYSTEM RECORY CD 'PARTITION ERRO'-HELP

• Please log in to reply

usafguy00

usafguy00

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am trying to reinstall windows XP with the XP cd's. After using all of the cd's- I received an error message that says: Cannot format user partition! System Recovery cannot continue!' How can I continue and why did I get the error? Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi usafguy00...

The error you are getting usually indicates a HDD failure. What was it that led to this reinstall?

wannabe1

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Im not exactly sure. A couple of days before it crashed, I updated a program on my computer, then deleted it. Within a day my computer wouldnt boot up to windows XP.

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Is anyone currently online that is familiar with the partition error I received and how I can do away with it so I may continue with the full recovery on my PC? I would definitely appreciate anyone's assistance.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the make and model number of your computer?

Do you recall what program it was that you updated and then deleted? How did you remove the program?

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It is a Compaq Presario 6410NX. The program I updated was JASC Photo... I updated a patch on it and then my PC started acting crazy on me, so I deleted the update.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Which recovery operation did you attempt? Was it the non-destructive recovery or the full recovery? I am assuming it was the latter?

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I attempted the Full System Recovery (Destructive).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try the whole recovery operation again...if it still won't complete, we'll try wiping the drive another way and see if it will run to completion.

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've tried twice already.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm assuming both of your machines have a floppy drive?

Download this Win98SE Startup Disk and save the file to your desktop. Double click on the file to run the program and insert a formatted floppy diskette into the drive when you are prompted to do so by the application. This will create the startup disk.

When you have created this disk, let me know and we'll continue...

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK, I have created the floppy disk

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Restart the Compaq with the startup disk in the floppy drive (and the cd-rom empty)...the machine should boot to the floppy. If it doesn't, you may have to change the boot priority in the BIOS Setup so the floppy is second boot device after the cd-rom.

In the Startup Options screen, press Shift + F5 for a command prompt.

At the command prompt (A:\), type fdisk and press "Enter".

In the next screen, select the option to "show partition information" and press "Enter".

Post the partition information here for me.

usafguy00

usafguy00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Problem- the computer is at home. What can we do without access to the home PC?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I can give you the jist of what needs to be done so you can do it at home.

If, when you check the partition information, there are any partitions listed, they will have to be deleted. If there are logical disk drives listed, they must be deleted first. Remove any and all partitions on the drive including the Primary DOS Partition.

This will all be accomplished using the various options listed in the fdisk options. Use the Esc key to go to previous screens. Don't worry about formatting the drive, just get all of the partitions deleted so that when you check partition information, there is nothing listed.

Then put the recovery cd into the cd-rom drive, remove the floppy disk, and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot the machine. It should boot to the recovery cd and perform the recovery...formatting the drive in the process.

If you have questions, now is the time to ask them...