Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing proplus.msi file from win xp

• Please log in to reply

ann051

ann051

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm unable to download the windows patch service pak3 without this file. Is there any reason why it isn't on my operating system CD?
Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ann051...

Is there any reason why it isn't on my operating system CD?

Maybe because it's a Microsoft Office file?

Take a look on the Office installation cd...you should find it there. It should also be found in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office".

wannabe1

ann051

ann051

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hello ann051...

Is there any reason why it isn't on my operating system CD?

Maybe because it's a Microsoft Office file?

Take a look on the Office installation cd...you should find it there. It should also be found in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office".

wannabe1

wannabe1,
Thanks for getting back with me. I went to the program files and even searched for the file. It is nowhere to be found. The OS CD has the winxp on that file but I can't seem to locate it. Any other ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Was Office preinstalled on your machine or did you install it from cd?

ann051

ann051

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Was Office preinstalled on your machine or did you install it from cd?

It's an HP and it was installed when I bought it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just to make sure we're on the same page...

Your operating system is Win2000 and you are trying to download Service Pack 3...correct?

When you bought your PC, did it come with more than one recovery cd with one of them labeled "Applications" or something to that effect?

ann051

ann051

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Just to make sure we're on the same page...

Your operating system is Win2000 and you are trying to download Service Pack 3...correct?

When you bought your PC, did it come with more than one recovery cd with one of them labeled "Applications" or something to that effect?

I have WinXp 2002 service pak 2 and yes I have the following CD's with it, I have an Application Recovery CD and I have the Application and Driver CD and the Operating System CD.

Would it be one of those?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There is no official Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. Can you give me a link to the download you are trying to install?

ann051

ann051

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

There is no official Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. Can you give me a link to the download you are trying to install?

Maybe I didn't word what I'm trying to do correctly. I was trying to update windows security and the new updates are called sp3. When I scan the updates needed for my computer, this pops up and when I try to install, I get that proplus.msi file is needed. This is what I'm trying to install.

Review and Install Updates

Install Updates Download size (total): 0 KB *
Estimated time at your connection speed: 0 minutes *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)

Restore and Check Again Only selected updates will appear the next time you check for updates.

High-priority updates
Microsoft Office 2002/XP

Office XP Service Pack 3
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) provides the latest updates to Microsoft Office XP. SP3 contains significant security enhancements, as well as stability and performance improvements. This service pack applies to any level of Office XP. It contains all updates included in SP1 and SP2, in addition to updates released after SP2. SP3 applies to the following Office XP products: Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook 2002, PowerPoint 2002, Access 2002, FrontPage 2002, Publisher 2002, and Office XP Web Components. Details...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...that makes sense. It's an Office update... :whistling:

The file you're looking for will be on one of the disks with "Applications" on the label. Probably the one that is labeled simply "Applications".

Try the update again, and when it asks for the cd, put the one labeled "Applications" into the drive and see if the file is found.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 October 2006 - 06:03 PM.

ann051

ann051

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
wannabe1,
I tried both disks with the Application on them, but neither one worked. I'm at wits end here.
Any other suggestions?