Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connectivity, but no internet access

• Please log in to reply

anser59

anser59

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you in advance for any help I receive, this an amazing site and all those who are helping others deserve many thanks!

I have read many posts already and none seem to fit my problem. I have a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop, a SMC 2632W V.2 wireless PC card, a netgear wireless router, cable internet access, two desktop computers hardwired into the router.
I had spyware/malware problems with the laptop in question and tried to fix the problems using all the steps outlined in the selfhelp/how-to section on this site....I tired everything except posting a hijack this log. I then decided to simply reformat the laptop...it now has XP PRO and is working wonderfully. I can get online when hardwired directly into the router, but I can't get online via my wireless connection!
When I set up my network I used the wireless network wizard, it worked fine for all my computers except the laptop. I then followed all the steps outlined in the wireless network set up how-to guide and still nothing. How can I have an EXCELLENT signal strength and a PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED?

Any advice....I'm I missing the most obvious answer?

Anser59

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What is the I.P adress?

Example

anser59

anser59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The IP address is ....... 192.168.1.3

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there,

What i would do is leave all your machines off apart from your laptop then open your command prompt

( start -> Run -> & type "CMD" + enter )

then type

"ipconfig /release" which will reset your IP, DNS, Gateway & Subnet to 0.0.0.0.

once you have done this you can either type

"ipconfig /renew" or restart your computer and let windows renew your IP.

You then need to check that your settings have been renewed too

IP - 192.168.1.?
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.? (Most likely 192.168.1.1)
Prefered DNS - 192.168.1.? (Most likely 192.168.1.1 - should be same as gateway)

you can find out this information by running the command prompt again and typing

"ipconfig /all"

I hope this helps, if not, please give me some more info on your problem.

Regards!

anser59

anser59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So a couple of things happened once I did this. First I have a question, when you repair a connection in the "Network COnnections" folder is the computer simply releasing and renewing your IP address?

I followed the instructions below, the first time I did it my ip address came back as 192.168.1.6? The internet was still not working, so I tried going into the "Network Connections" folder and repairing the connection. My IP address then came back as 192.168.1.3? After that I disabled my "local connection" and finally my internet was working. However about 10 minutes later I tried to access a different webpage and the screen timed out. The internet is no longer working, even after following the steps again.

One more thing I think I should mention, I don't have any encription on my network. I live pretty close to a lot of people, could someone be bumping me off my own connection?

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there,
dont worry about the last number of your IP address, DHCP will give you the next available number.
Yes, repairing your connection will just release and renew your IP address.

I am not too sure if someone could be killing your connection, i would say no but anything is possible!
Setting up a WEP or WPA is really simple and i would recomend it. You should also hide your SSID so that other people will not be able to see your network.

I had the same problem as you recently and i believe it to have been caused by malware!
Do you use MSN? what happens to your internet once you log into MSN?? i was able to browse again for a couple of minutes but would then be greeted with another "unable to connect to server or DNS error" message!

try logging in and see what happens when you try loading a web page...

anser59

anser59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I the prolem has been fixed and I'm almost embarassed to say what it was! I replaced the wireless card and everything worked great....my significant other told me later that the card got stepped on a while back and was just bent back straight.....wow! Anyway thanks for the help and next time I'll check if its plugged in!
I also put some security on....last question, how does one hide their signal?

anser59

wf4

wf4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey there,
Sorry for the delay in my response, been mad busy with the books!!

You need to hide you SSID, to do that depends on your router, check the router for its IP address, it will most likely be 192.168.1.1, type that into your browser which should take you to the login for your router.
Your ID and password should be on your router or in your manual, it is also recomended that you change your admin password because they are usually "admin" which is not to difficult to work out!
In your "wireless" section in the router config you should be able to hide your SSID.

I hope this helps!!

Will.