Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash drive won't format

• Please log in to reply

BriTackle

BriTackle

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everyone, hope someone can help me here.

I was given a usb flash drive as a giveaway at my college career fair. Its 8MB and the only company name it has on it is from the company giving them away, no write protect switch anywhere on it. Problem is that when I plug it into my computer, it says that all the drivers have been installed and its ready to use, but I can't access it or do anything useful with it. In the properties it says its still in RAW format. It also won't let me format the drive to FAT (or anything else for that matter). I keep getting the message that Windows cannot complete the format. I have 2 other flash drives that work fine in my computer so i am wondering what the problem could be. Is it just a cheap drive that doesn't work? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S.

Here are my computer specs if its helpful:
Dell Inspiron 1150
XP Pro SP2
512 MB Ram, Pentium 4, USB 2.0
Anything else you need?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
question:
- really 8gb as it does sound very very small

an idea then

runbox command
- press: winkey + r
- paste this: diskmgmt.msc
- press: enter
righthandclick drive
format in fat32

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I havd a Sandisk Flash drive that would not work and windows disk manager said the drive was in RAW format.
When this happened to me i found out that Sandisk had a usb test tool that would repartition and reformat the sandisk flash drive. This got it working again for me. Perhaps you can look at the makers of your flash drive for a similar tool.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HP make a formatting tool that will format pretty much anything for you.

If its giving you to much hassle if its only 8Mb then get another one seriosly you couldnt sell and 8Mb flash drive a 128 or 256 only go for like a fiver and i can get 512 and 1Gb drives from anywhere from 10-25 quid.

If its an 8Gb(rare even to buy) then keep at it or sell it to get a new one the things are rare enough and expensive youll get a couple hundred quid for it.