Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless utility ? which to use

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I read from a different forum somewhere (I won't state where) that using other wireless card utilities could increase your singal. This was and is not a trusted site that I go to. I was searching for ideas when I was setting up my network about a week ago and just happen to see it. That's way I'm here AGAIN I trust the staff and others that help out.

This person stated that the belkins wireless utility was junk. He also said that He started using the windows utility and had FAR better results with everything.

The reason I ask is because I'm only about 30ft. from my router (belkin F5D7231-4) and I really don't get a very good signal. It's a staight shot to the desktop useing the wireless card (belkins F5D7001) no walls or phones in the way. My signal never really gets above good (low, good, very good, excellent) sometimes stays on low. I can still connect and use it well. But it just seems that I should have a better signal.

So I guess I'm asking if it is possible that a differnt utility would be better? Can it incease your signal?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So are you currently using the Belkin Utility or the Windows Utility?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have been using the belkin utility from the start. Of course this is what Belkin suggest. I have NOT tried use the windows utility YET!

Can a different utility make a differance on the signal?

Edited by duley3, 13 October 2006 - 10:36 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
While I don't have any solid evidence, I'm tempted to say yes, becuase I used my cousin's laptop once, and he used the T-Mobile Connection Manager, and it found routers that the Windows utility couldn't find, just becuase of range. So yes, but I shouldn't be quoted on that :whistling: Also, if you would like to consider switching, let me know and we'll see if we can switch you over easily.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I would like to try switching to the windows utility just to see. I could always switch back later.

I do know that there are 2 other networks that show up. I don't know where there are located. But, These have to be at lest 200 ft away from this desktop maybe even more. I get the same signal from them, low or good. Just seems like if I'm 30ft (give or that a few feet) away and the other are 200+ feet away my signal to my router would be better.

Could the problem be a setting in the router?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I'm not sure... You could try resetting it... Let's turn off the computer(s) and then unplug the modem and router. Leave them unplugged for at least 15 seconds. Next, plug in the router, but not the modem, and let it go for about 15 seconds. Next, plug in the modem, and let it go for about 15 seconds. Now, I want you to look at the check lights that it displays. Are all the proper lights lit? If so, or you're note sure, turn on the computer and see what happens. Let us know. :whistling:

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay That a little better, I reset the router by doing what you said. My signal has been right around good to very good. I also changed the channel that I was running on. I think this might have helped a little aswel.

Now I have a new question. What should my speed be (an Avg.) My router is set on Turbo mode 125Mbps (what ever that means). When I put my pointer over the icon for my connection in the tool tray. This will pop up a ballon with my Wireless Network Conection, Speed, Signal and Status. My speed is normally on or around 24Mbps. My card should be good for 54Mbps. Why would I not be running at that speed?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. It depends on range. Some cards are able to go fast, but range is what we need to focus on... It might just be that the adapter has bad reception. Are there any software updates for it? What about the router?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Are there any software updates for it? What about the router?

I thought about that too. I have check and there was no updates. I also checked the for firmware for the router None for that either.

But it is better now with a different channel + resetting the router. But it could still be better. I think I will move the desktop closer to the router and see what happens. If I get a better signal then I will have to relocate the desktop. If I still don't get a better signal then I guess I will have to call Belkin.

Unless you have anyother ideas for me.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I say try relocation and see what it does for you. If not, then we'll cook-up something else...

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I Didn't have any luck with finding a new location. I'm kind of limited to way I can place the desk and system (small room). But I did play with the antenna a little bit. I didn't think about this until late last night. I think the tower is in the way of the router. The signal from the router has to go around the tower to get to the card. I turned the tower and the signal got better. But, I can't leave it this way (can't acess the front :blink: ). So I started moving the antenna on the card. The manual said to have it straight up and down. But, that wasn't working as we know. So I put it horizontal just to see. I now have a very good (4 bar out of 5) signal and my speed is 54Mbps. So I guess I'll see what happens like this for awhile. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will stay this way. If not then I'll post back, You can count on this. :help:

Thanks for helping me try to figure this out. My kids will be excited to see how this is running now. :whistling:

Edited by duley3, 15 October 2006 - 10:10 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Glad to see that you at least have some sort of solution. :whistling: I would leave it like that unless you have problems. This is why I like the external USB adapters... Move them where you want lol