Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New processor - advice needed

• Please log in to reply

someguy12

someguy12

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am looking to upgrade my processor, but am unsure which is the best to buy in terms of value for money. I am also unsure whether to wait until the release of Windows Vista to purchase one. My current processor is an AMD Sempron 3000+. I am aware of how to upgrade the processor, and am also aware that you need a specific socket motherboard to install particular processors (advice on which motherboard to get would also be appreciated. My Budget is around £500. In addition to the motherboard, is there anything i would need to change/upgrade as well?
Please note that if you are suggesting any places to purchase any items, they would need to be from UK based stores.
Feel free to ask for additional info.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The tag "Sempron 3000" comes in three different versions - Socket A, Socket 754 and Socket AM2.

According to your profile, you use the Asus K8S-MX, which is a Socket 754 board.

The 754 range goes from a 64-bit Sempron 2800 through to an Athlon 64 3700, but the 754 range is really only a budget range according to AMD, so there isn't really much point spending too much money on a 754 processor when you can wait a bit longer and get an entire new board, memory and processor on the AM2 branch when prices fall, which will use less power and be more future proof for at least the next 18 months.

Edited by Neil Jones, 14 October 2006 - 05:26 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am looking to upgrade my processor, but am unsure which is the best to buy in terms of value for money. I am also unsure whether to wait until the release of Windows Vista to purchase one. My current processor is an AMD Sempron 3000+. I am aware of how to upgrade the processor, and am also aware that you need a specific socket motherboard to install particular processors (advice on which motherboard to get would also be appreciated. My Budget is around £500. In addition to the motherboard, is there anything i would need to change/upgrade as well?
Please note that if you are suggesting any places to purchase any items, they would need to be from UK based stores.
Feel free to ask for additional info.

Well I would try to get an AM2 mobo and cpu but then again you would also have to get some new memory aswell. AM2 motherboards only support DDR2 and I know that your current motherboard doesnt have ddr2 because only amd's AM2 mobos have DDR2, it was their first DDR2 based motherboard..

You will also have to get a new powersupply because all the new am2 motherboards require a 24pin Powersupply connector and the older amd motherboards only required a 20pin power supply connector...

Now they do have adapters that will fit your 20 pin power supply and convert it into a 24 pin but I dont really like them I would rather get a brand new powersupply that has more Power aswell because who know what you will be upgrading to in the future and its always important to get a good quality power supply.

You would also have to get a new video card because all of the new am2 mobos have pci express 16X slots and your old motherboard doesnt have a pci express 16x slot. Your old mobo has a pci express 1x and agp..

I dont know what you will be doing on your pc but you can find a new mobo with integrated graphics but if you will be playing any 3d games you will want a better video card for shure.

here is what your asus motherboard has..
Expansion Slots
1 x AGP8X
1 x PCI Express X1
2 x PCI

SO, upgrading just your processor isnt the best way to upgrade because you want to get away from the old socket 754 slot if that is infact what you have.