Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems

• Please log in to reply

petesar

petesar

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi all i have a question for all you computer buffs out there,my sister in law has just bought a second hand computer,and it was running fine when she first got it home,and its using windows 95,when she installed aol 7 and 9,she now gets a error message saying operating system not found,and she didnt get a reboot disc to try and restart the computer,is there any way around this or has she got to get a reboot disc or floppy.and does anyone know where you can get one from.all help will be greatly appreciated.
pete :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OS not found could be a sign of a failing harddrive or she could have left a floppy in the floppy drive--since most computers are set up to boot first to the floppy, it will have this effect.

If she does not have a floppy, and cannot get into her computer, her harddrive could be damaged, or files on it were damaged or erased.

By reboot disk, do you mean windows cd?

You can download a boot floppy from ww.bootdisk.com which will load DOS, and a repair or reinstall may be possible. Many computers have the windows installation files on the harddrive, typically in a folder called OPTIONS.

running setup from within OPTIONS will reinstall windows.

petesar

petesar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GERRY,I AM SURE THAT SHE WILL BE ABLE TO SORT IT OUT FROM YOUR INFO.ONCE AGAIN THANKS GERRY :tazz:

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Beware AOL v7 (possibly), definitely version 9.0

AOL is notorious software, it can really screw up anybodies system - we recently witnessed a perfectly good win2000 system rendered useless for internet access by aol9.

Check compatability with AOL 7 with windows 95 - you will need system software updates, assuming aol 7 doesn't do this for you - DCOM components.

AOL works by installing a 'virtual' network adapter on your pc - hit and miss with win95 I would have thought.

Use another computer and check with aol first - is my advice ... think about upgrading to Windows 98 Second Edition - more secure for internet access, when patched with necessary updates.

daveB - LinuxWannabee :tazz:

petesar

petesar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
THANKS LINUX,YEAH I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY AOL,IT SEEMS TO TAKE OVER YOUR SYSTEM,I HAVE ALSO BEEN HAVING TROUBLE WITH THEM.ONCE I AM SIGNED ON AND ALL OF A SUDDEN I KEEP GETTING DISCONNECTED