Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

You would have to be nuts to buy Vista

• Please log in to reply

cool2bme

cool2bme

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi ... My understanding is with Vista we are only allow to transfer this operating system to another computer once ? If this is the case ? Then I feel Microsoft is screwing the consumers , I don't believe I will be buying Vista , You would have to be nuts to buy Vista under those conditions

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What do you mean transfer, you will be able to install it on the same computer more than once, however windows liscences usually arent transferable and there is limits allready, but things like liscence details wont be out until the OS so until then its specualtion.

But considering most users are OEM users and OEM cant be transfered with XP or 2000 they are machine specific it would be the same terms you have now, one OS for one machine seems pretty fair to me.

cool2bme

cool2bme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Retail version of XP has no limit as to how many times you transfer your windows onto , just as long as you keep one license per one computer but , With Vista you are only allow to transfer your windows onto another computer just once , that is it , so let say you make 2 motherboard changes onto your computer ? You are now screw because you can not install vista on it but with xp it did not have a limit

>>> EULA for Vista below

http://download.micr...53f722371fa.pdf

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes if you bought a retail, but you cant activate on a different computer online requires a phone call usually not always but sometimes. They have totally redone the way they are selling it and are targetting the OEM market more(you know the liscencse for OEM, Retail and corporate are different) and with XP you couldnt switch computers either. So you should be able to activate it via phone if you switch the mobo which is what you do now.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Actually you can transfer an OEM license, just ask the activation person on the phone very nicely and tell them that your OEM computer broke, works every time!

--bmwboy

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
All you have to know is that if you paid for your copy of the os, you don't have to worry about a thing. Customer service from MS will gladly help you in anyway possible if you can prove that you bought your os. Now as to OEM i understand that those os's are meant to stay on that computer. Cause i have a dell, and i don't think i can just wipe the os off the dell and install it on another system wouldn't be very legal at least. The phone calls are actually very easy to make usually done in less than 5 minutes.

cool2bme

cool2bme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Can you guys read or what ? I am talking about RETAIL version NOT oem version , RETAIL version will have a limit as to how many time it can be transfer onto another computer and that limit is only one computer , That is it , If you decide to transfer your retail vista OS onto a newer computer ? That it , No more transfer are allow , You can no longer transfer it onto a newer computer , Yes one license per one computer = to only one computer transfer , Guys open your eyes and read better

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes but MS are making retail OEM with vista, they are going to be the same they are selling multi computer liscences seperate they are redoing the way they sell windows completely in an effort to try and reduce the costs to home consumers and more accurately charge corporate customers.

cool2bme

cool2bme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes but MS are making retail OEM with vista, they are going to be the same they are selling multi computer liscences seperate they are redoing the way they sell windows completely in an effort to try and reduce the costs to home consumers and more accurately charge corporate customers.

Do you even know the different between the 2 ? Retail version is what Microsoft supports , OEM is not , The oem versions are only supported by the manufactorers that sell them , Lastly the price for a retail vista version is the exact same when xp pro retail came out , So you make no sense when you say they are changes their style in how they sell their products , All they are now doing is ripping off the consumers that really do pay for thier retail license

Edited by cool2bme, 16 October 2006 - 10:56 AM.

cool2bme

cool2bme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here read this , It will clear it up a bit better

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=158

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive read up alot about it, its quite complicated the way they have restructured the difference between retail and OEM is different also different levels of support now. Also the OEM pricing hasnt been released and even the final prices for retail arent final and are subject to change, EULA and OS is different by region now. There is going to be something like 5 or 6 varying levels of liscence now instead of the normal 3 like it was before(OEM, Retail & corporate) there is the multi PC retail and a new set of corporate liscences.

cool2bme

cool2bme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The bottom line is ? Microsoft is going to rip people off whoever buys RETAIL versions of Vista and this is why I made the title of this post what it is , You would have to be nuts to buy Vista retail

SpectreNZ

SpectreNZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Taking away all the complicated wording and legal terms, here is the laymans terms of the licensing, which applies to the retail versions of both Windows XP, and Vista. You can not install your OS on 2 Machines at the same time. You can install it as many times as you need to on that device. Although it may also require a phone call to reactivate. I'm am not completely sure of the implications with installing it on a new PC, but the restrictions are no different, or not that sevre if they are changed. All MS are doing is clarifying the wording in the EULA. MS are also bringing out more licesing options to make Vista more affordable, and allow more options for the consumer. The people that actually buy the retail version are not being ripped off, but are in fact being offered support tailored more to their individual needs, than the support currently offered by the license system in place now.

Edited by SpectreNZ, 16 October 2006 - 06:25 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The only limitations I have heard about is that the 2 lower tier versions will not be able to be installed as virtual machines.