Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mild Problems

• Please log in to reply

Menos

Menos

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok, recently when I restarted the computers for one of those windows security center updates, when it came back on everything was.... dead.

Nothing would come up after I clicked on it, including anything in the start menu and on the desktop.

Now, my mom was messing with it and after she had a message came up and said somthing about terminating an application. After this everything worked.

Except for the explorer. The... start menu bar, whatever it's called. Now if you right click on a browser "including freecell games and the like" nothing shows up. The windows are also orange after I right click them, Like an MSN window.

There are a few launch tray (little icons in the corner, not sure if that was the name) icons that I can right click, but the menu sticks around if I don't select an option from them and click off.

So, if I could get this solved or explained then I'd be in business. Thanks in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Can you hit the windows logo key on your keyboard to bring up the programs window? If so then right click "My Computer", then click "explore" to bring up a 2 pane window. go down to the "C/windows" folder and open the folder. There you will see a bunch of folders with $ signs before and after the names. These are the updates. If you know the name( number) of the last update you can open that folder and click on the uninstall there to remove the update. Please read this before you start doing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823836

Heres a article on the uninstalls. I will install a update and run it for a while before deleting the folder. By doing this when i have a problem with a update it is usually the only one in the windows folder so i know i can delete it or use the uninstall.

http://windowsxp.mvp...tfix_backup.htm

Heres a site about others with problems with updates.

http://www.annoyance...inxp/1132544255

SRX660

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Well, if uninstalling them is the solution, would a system restore work?

I don't trust myself enough with computers to go snooping around in the system files. *cough*

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I cannot say for sure a restore to an earlier date would fix the problem. I have not tried that method to fix the computer. I have done the uninstall of the latest updates on a computer that did fix a problem it had. I do not think it would hurt to try that method but because it is microsoft i would think that the same updates are included in restore.

SRX660

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hmm. If I don't know the name of the update, what would I do?

That and somehow a backlog of 13 downloads had occured. So...

If each download is a number, then it may take a bit...

Also, I do want to back up on my downloads, would it be possible to get a step by step guide from here?

I really don't like poking around something on my own, especially when it's vital to the system. : /

Also, I can't seem to find these folders with the $ sign on the front of them in the C/:WINDOWS folder.

It was in all caps, I noticed your's wasn't. Just wanted to make sure.

I'd really like to get this fixed, preferably with some general instructions, all on one page.

Sorry if I'm being an annoyance.

EDIT: Nevermind.

It was working fine for a bit but then.... It started doing it again.

GRAH! Anyway, continue.

EDIT2: I can see some uninstall folders now though, only five of em though. I dunno if that's all of em or not.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
.... Huh.

It seems to have.... fixed itself. Somehow.

Thanks anyway.

._.;