Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound - help please

• Please log in to reply

nessa

nessa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I have an IBM T21 Thinkpad running Windows 98 and have suddenly lost sound. I have checked in Device Manager and there was a yellow exclamation mark by the drivers so I have downloaded new ones, ( I think!!) and it now tells me the device is working properly. However, there is still no sound and when I click on volume control via the start menu, nothing happens.
It was suggested that I try to reboot the system and I have put the system restore disc in but nothing happens.
Am feeling quite stumped on this one and would be really grateful if anyone could help at all.
Many thanks,
Nessa.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
did you install one of the drivers from here?Click Here
<_<

nessa

nessa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Tazz,
Thanks for such a quick reply.
I downloaded the driver from the Cystal Sound Fusion site, the make of the audio chip. I'll try the link you say, although downloading is not one of my strong points. I can never find it afterwards!!
Thanks,
Nessa.

nessa

nessa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I have now downloaded the driver you recommended and I now have the speaker icon on the task bar and can access the master volume control panel for the first time. Big thanks for that, but I still have no sound when I play cds. Have you any further suggesions at all please?
Many thanks,
Nessa.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
are your speakers working fine...you sure its not a problem with them?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
do you get any sound out of your speakers when the system boots up if not check to make sure they are plug in and getting power to them some of your cheaper speaker have a battiers in them that can be replaced .
<_<

nessa

nessa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
I don't have separate speakers, and when the computer starts up there are bleeps etc and I can hear the modem dialling OK and can adjust the volume of that via the keyboard controls.
Could it be a problem with the CD/DVD drive? When I try to play music CDs they seem to play OK except for no sound.
Thanks for your help so far,
Nessa.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
have u tried any music from any other source then the cd/dvd drive...i.e.- games?

nessa

nessa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, Still nothing I'm afraid.
Nessa.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
What driver did you down load from this pageCLICK HERE
for win 95/98 should have been v4.12.2884
for win 98se*admin should have been v5.12.01.3037
here is a page on troubleshooting your sound CLICK HERE
<_<

Advertisements

nessa

nessa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Tazz,
I downloaded the driver under the T21 heading, but maybe it should have been the one you say. That's me not looking properly as usual!!
I'll have another go and let you know.
Thanks, Nessa.

nessa

nessa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
Have downloaded the other driver but still nothing.
Sound comes from the speakers when dialling up the internet. Could it be to do with the chip as I understand there is no sound card.
Any further help would be much appreciated. Am getting close to throwing the thing out the window!!!
Nessa.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
have u ever touched or taken out the sound card?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi nessa
where you are getting sound out of your speakers when it boots I do not think that its your sound drivers any more I think you got the right one installed now!
I'm looking more to it being some thing with your dvd rom so lets take a shot at this hardware go back to the download page this driver mediamatics DVD express video update DOWNLOAD PAGE and install this update. let me know what it did.
<_<

nessa

nessa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Tazz,
Still no luck I'm afraid.
I got into PC Doctor and ran a test on the CD-ROM which came up as 'Random Seek - Failed'.
I can play DVDs OK but again, no sound. Should I just get a new drive and hope for the best?
Thanks again for your help,
Nessa.