Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problems with sony vaio

• Please log in to reply

juliecorney

juliecorney

• Pip
  • 3 posts
recently purchased a Sony VAIO fs515b - sound fine to start then started cutting out after a few minutes. now sometimes sound starts for a few minutes then cuts out or does not start at all. I have tried using headphones and the sound is very low. I have checked all the sound settings all all on high, nothing muted. has anyone else experienced this problem? this is sooo frustrating and I so grateful for any help and advice.

Many thanks

Julie

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Do you know if you have a sound card or anything?

juliecorney

juliecorney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the quick reply! No sound card. Everything else is working fine. Could the speakers be damaged? I can't understand why it works sometimes and not others - really odd

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, you must need some sort of driver that needs to be replaced for sound... The speakers COULD be damaged, but if it's brand new, I doubt it.

juliecorney

juliecorney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks, sorry I am not very computer literate - how do I go about that?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I'm not sure what kind of sound adapter you have. Let's see what we can find out... Click on Start, and click on Run. In the Run box, type dxdiag and press enter. You may see a small gray box appear. Click on yes. You will now see a much larger gray box displaying system information. Click on the sound tab. Now, look on the left side of that window, and it will have some name. What does it say?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello juliecorney and welcome to G2G!

The Sony Vaio VGN-FS515B is a laptop is it not?

Your laptop should have the integrated Realtek ALC260 sound chip and the driver should be on the Sony recovery disk.

Have you tried reinstalling the driver from the Sony Vaio recovery disk?

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 16 October 2006 - 05:11 AM.