Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My hard drive is corrupt

• Please log in to reply

ste0102

ste0102

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi my laptop has a corrupt hard drive and i was wonderin can i put a different hard drive in like samsung( the brand name) my laptop is a advent 6414 and here are the details of it http://www.uktsuppor...laptop/6414.htm

thanks ste0102

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any standard laptop hard drive fits, and you will be able to use your recovery CD as well.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Also, there's some good data recovery programs out there, try connecting your 'corrupted' hard drive as a slave to your new drive once you've reinstalled your OS then run the data recovery program, you'll be amazed what it can find, although it does depend how badly corrupted the hard drive is, and what caused the corruption. Good luck!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Also, there's some good data recovery programs out there, try connecting your 'corrupted' hard drive as a slave to your new drive once you've reinstalled your OS then run the data recovery program, you'll be amazed what it can find, although it does depend how badly corrupted the hard drive is, and what caused the corruption. Good luck!

good idea except it's a laptop and most don't have a place to connect a second drive... you could however get a laptop to 3.5" convertion kit and hook the drive up as a secondary in a regular computer...

if you decide to do that... i have used getdataback to recover data, you need to get the one for your file system , either fat or ntfs but you can use it to see what can be recovered before you actually buy the software...

good luck

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Who buys the software anyway? lol

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Who buys the software anyway? lol

those who want it to recover their files without breaking the law

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Freeware installation isn't against the law :whistling:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Freeware installation isn't against the law :whistling:

getdataback is not freeware.... if you'd care to recommend a freeware program to do this go ahead. I have used getdataback with good results and yes I ( or rather the company I work with ) paid for the license.