Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create a dual boot from within Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Wakenaam

Wakenaam

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Friends:I have two hard drives installed. One has Windows XP Pro installed and running OK. The other has Windows 98 previously installed. I would like to set up a dual boot system to give me a choice at start-up which from system I need to boot from. Is there a simple way I can do this from an already-running Windows XP installation rather than going through the whole Windows XP installation again? Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have not tried this, as the way to normally accomplish what you want is to install 9x then XP, but you could modify the boot.ini file on the XP drive and add an entry for the 9x installation. Google boot.ini and you will find plenty of tips.

Wakenaam

Wakenaam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
crash override: I found a really elegant software called GAG from SourceForge which gives a graphical choice on start-up of up to 9 operating systems. It can be booted from a floppy too, so you can bypass the process if needs to. Many thanks for your help. Appreciate. Cheers!!!