Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe missing- no start menu,icons, taskbar or right click on d

• Please log in to reply

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
The activex test [test with the box] came up blank. It said "If you see a blank space, ActiveX is probably working properly, but not scripting. Check your security settings for scripting." I did what it said but the box kept coming up blank. One of the cookies on the site kept getting blocked, I don't know if that was the cause-
http://a.tribalfusio...itstop&size=7...

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
That could also mean that scripting is broken completely.

Download and run the file offered here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
Select the correct language, I guessed it was english.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
It keeps saying "Code not available. The validation code could not be obtained. This may be due to technical difficulties or you may be using an unsupported operating system."

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Please go HERE (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on Windows Validation Assistant
  • Click on the Validate Now button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click continue
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Very good news. I found an alternative site to download Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 and it worked. You were right, the script was broken/corrupt. I went to do the panda activescan and it worked! I have to wait for it to install, which will take awhile on this slow connection speed, and it will take a while to scan but when it is finished I will post back the results. Thanks!

Edited by ctdgcrsntf, 03 November 2006 - 10:03 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Great. I like being right once in a while. :whistling:

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I don't know what's going on. I left the scan on all night and it hasn't moved, it's still in the same place where it says scanning processes in memory.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
That doesn't really help.

Can you try this one:
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

use the Kaspersky Online Scanner button.
I'm not that interested in the running programs anyway, but more in what might be in your system files.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
The Kaspersky Online Scanner worked but it didn't find anything.

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT
Saturday, November 04, 2006 7:25:35 AM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.83.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 4/11/2006
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 224820

Scan Settings
Scan using the following antivirus database standard
Scan Archives true
Scan Mail Bases true

Scan Target My Computer
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\

Scan Statistics
Total number of scanned objects 86018
Number of viruses found 0
Number of infected objects 0 / 0
Number of suspicious objects 0
Duration of the scan process 03:03:41

Infected Object Name Virus Name Last Action
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\ACS\1.0\ph Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\ACS\1.0\variable Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP10211.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP10313.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP10360.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP10506.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP10575.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP10682.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP10737.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9035.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9076.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9401.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9515.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9640.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9712.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9745.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\APP9762.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\Apps.Lst Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\Diction.lst Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\hints.lst Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\main.idx Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\sap.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\spool.lst Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\STYLE.LST Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\sysnews.lst Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\idb\Toolbar.lst Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\ctdgcrsntf.abi Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\organize\ctdgcrsntf.aby Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\ShopAssist\DataStore\global\clientcache.adb Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\ShopAssist\DataStore\users\CtdgCrsntf.adb Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012006110420061105\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\AntiPhishing\B3BB5BBA-E7D5-40AB-A041-A5B1C0B26C8F.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank Crisanti\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\aswResp.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\AshWebSv.ws Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswMaiSv.log Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\nshield.log Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\Resident protection.txt Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\US\static Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\DAP\History\Frank Crisanti\_lasthist.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Program Files\DAP\Log\DAP_REPORT.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Antivirus.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Internet.evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_7b4.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast4_\Webshlock.txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped

Scan process completed.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Well. I would trust it to be clean then.

Question: is there another user account on that computer and does that show the same problem?

Regards,

Advertisements

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
No, there is only 1 user account. I could probably create a new account and see if the same thing would happen, I would have to find a way to get to the control panel without a start button though. I don't know if that would work.
*I found a shortcut to get to user accounts, type in the command nusrmgr.cpl. I created a new account but it had the same problem. blank desktop etc. I also found there was an administrator account but I couldn't access as I did not know the password.

Edited by ctdgcrsntf, 05 November 2006 - 10:14 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Ok. here is what I'd like you to do:

Reboot into safe mode and choose the Administrator account.
If there was never a password set you can leave that field empty if it comes up.

Let me know how that account in safe mode works.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I went to the account and a black screen with safe mode in the corners came up. I could only access the task manager, it was the same as in the other 2 accounts.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. In that case I think it is best to try and repair the install.
Follow this guideline to do so:
http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Windows XP came preinstalled on my computer. I tried to reinstall windows xp before but I couldn't because I didn't have a product key. Do I need one for this method and where would I get the product key if I do. Also, I thought you could lose data/programs when doing this if windows came preinstalled on the computer? I know I saw something about that on the Microsoft website before. One more thing, how do I do this: Step 2: Backup. It's always a good idea to backup your important data before making changes to Windows XP. Relax, if you follow these instructions your data will be perfectly safe.

Edited by ctdgcrsntf, 05 November 2006 - 12:01 PM.