Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply

nnaso

nnaso

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Are UATA (ultra ATA) drives compatible with regular ATA/IDE? I'm wondering if a Vaio VGN-T370P, which claims to use 8mm UATA, will accept a 9.5mm ATA. Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Will performance be affected if I have to set an Ultra ATA/100 disc drive to a slower speed in order to maintain compatibility with my system?
Changing the transfer mode affects only the external transfer rate of the device. If an Ultra ATA/100 device is configured for a slower transfer mode, its maximum speed will of course be limited to the maximum burst transfer rate of that mode. However, the internal performance is not affected by the external transfer mode, therefore the sustained transfer rate will not be as drastically affected as the maximum (burst) transfer rate.

More of a problem here is will a 9.5 mm drive fit in your HD enclosure. Some laptops are made with enclosures to fit all sizes while others are made to fit only one size.

SRX660

nnaso

nnaso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah, I was essentially wondering if a) it was backwards compatible and b) if it would fit size-wise. Since I don't have the computer in front of me, I was wondering if anyone actually knew or knew how to find out. I'm not sure where to check. Any ideas?