Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Poss to safely surf on W98se if other networked pc is XP?

• Please log in to reply

ukt

ukt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have home network with cable modem -> netgear router that has two ethernet cabled PC's.

I use Zone Alarm free and AVG Antivirus and Eudora email client [never use/config Outlook]
For over 10yrs, have never had firewall/email breech by malware.

My main work pc is XP Pro.

I would like to install legit W98SE on older second PC as cannot run licensed XP Pro twice without getting into registration brick wall. Currently XP Pro installed on second PC but is fast approaching 30day refuse to play anymore time!

W98SE is fast and good enough for many older setups.

I am wondering IF can safely run W98SE without any malware migrating to the XP box.

Basically, not worried if W98SE gets trashed but main work pc must remain untouched.

My ideas at present:
It seems that if firewall + antivirus keeps stuff out of both machines with present settings (out of the box settings) that the XP pc would be safe. I mean, if malware somehow got onto WIN98SE could it then use the OS as launching point for attack on XP pc?

So then - With a combination of router and firewall settings... can this be achieved?
[I think ZoneAlarm and AVG will exist on W98SE and if so, I'd guess that would need to tweek router and firewall settings on both PCs]

TIA

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is the possibility of viruses or malware going from one pc to the other...but being that you've only got the two pc's you should be able to control the fire pretty quickly...as long as you practice safe computing y ou should be fine...keep the antiviral and antimalware software active and up to date on both pcs and make sure that you've got a good firewall going....of course...to allow networking between the two pcs...you'll basically be disabeling the firewall for the LAN...but it will still protect from outside....it's just a matter of being carefull and dilligent

ukt

ukt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for that!
I forgot to mention that not use local net to do comms between nodes. Basically just have the setup to allow other [non work] pc's to surf.

Think I'll have-a-go.

Your words have helped :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so...you just want them all to have internet access? not actually be able to talk to each other? if that's the case..you've increased your safety by a large amount....as the machines won't have a direct line of communication between them (as far as the OS is concerned)...that will make it alot harder fro things to migrate between the machines

ukt

ukt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ahhhh, you've hit it on the head me thinks!

That's what has been lurking in my thoughts... the possibility of malware on W98SE using router to access XP pc.

My fear is that the clever types can do this. I mean, if malware gets onto W98 pc [due to an OS security hole] and can interrogate router to get XP's IP Addr somehow then...

Router uses DHCP etc.

Perhaps I'm getting beyond it here - is out of my depth for sure!

Anyway, now I'm even more happy - your 2nd comment does make sense. My long standing warped respect for these clever [but sick! imho] hackers keeps me running scared when 'thinking' I know what I'm doing - lol

Cheers dsenette - appreciate your time taken.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...it's possible for someone to get really clever and force software over a network like that...but in generally file propogation (with respect to viruses) requires someone on pcA to actively access (look at, open, run) a file from pcB to get infected...the user on pcB doesn't neccessarily need to know it's a virus or even know that they are running something...but in generall.... a pc sitting on the same wire as another one will not just get infected by sheer proximity..