Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get rid of excess processes

• Please log in to reply

dorthe

dorthe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I am very happy with my little vaio but what is all this stuff it comes with. It has 64 minimum processes running at all times, most of which I dont even know what are (ex Apoint). It takes surprisingly long for this new sexy machine to start up and I suspect all the background stuff is the reason.

Apart from going to taskmanager and physically deleting the processes one by one everytime I start, is there a better way to tell what processes actually does what and how do I distinguish good from bad. Or is there a such thing as a list of essentials, and I can safely get rid off all else.

If anyone can help me I shall be eternally grateful.

Kind Regards,

Dorthe :whistling:

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi dorthe. Always back up important files.
Is this what you are looking for?

http://onecomputergu...ervices_disable

dorthe

dorthe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You´d think so to look at it, but not one of the processes listed on onecomputerguy.com matches any of mine.

Any other suggestions :/

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Try here:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

Click on the "Tasks" button. All processes will be listed in alphabetical order.

Example would be to click on "S" for svchost.exe etc.

dorthe

dorthe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Exactly what I needed. Well done.

Thanks a lot :whistling: