Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving onto a job with Computers

• Please log in to reply

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, so im 17, 18 next month and in college. Im studying A level Computing, A Level ICT and a AS Level Maths course. However, I am predicted about a D or C for these subjects if I try. Im worried that if I dont do well on my final grades and get D and E's then I wont be able to get a good job with Computers. I ideadlly would like to become a computer networker, generally fix computers or something similar. Im not sure if any of you know if it is going to be hard to find job with computers if I have bad A level/AS level grades.
I am hoping to study in my own time for an MSCE and/or MCP for something to fall back on but incase I dont get them for whatever reason I was wondering you any of you know what its like moving out of education getting a job with computers with low grades or what is the best thing for me to do in that scenario.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
First of all you should know that qualifications aren't everything to an employer, experience, attitude and things like that are important as well. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try hard because you should.

If I was in your position I would ask my course teachers if there was anything I could do to improve my grades such as redoing coursework extra merit stuff etc etc. Study hard for your exams and ask the teacher for any revision notes that they have.

Have you thought of going for a trainee position? As a trainee the company will train you, maybe even get you some more qualifications such as an A+/N+, MCP/MCSE etc..
A trainee position may not pay much but would give you much needed experience in a business environment.

Another thing I would do is trying to put together a good CV. There are loads of websites on this and most provide tutorials.
Any and all computer related experience should be on your CV.

For example:

Fixing friends/family PC's.
Helping out on forums like this one.
Any voluntary work.

If you've done it put it on there.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
After completing an honours degree in Software Engineering, it took my nearly 8 months to get a job related to my subject. Now that's dedication :whistling:

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

First of all you should know that qualifications aren't everything to an employer, experience, attitude and things like that are important as well. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try hard because you should.

Well said.

I would like to get in the IT field when i get older. This means going to college for a few years and have somthing that someone else might have. A degree. It looks nice. Although for me to get in the IT field they really want on job experiance!

If you have really good experiance with IT, your company will love you forever !

But to start in the field you need to show some kind of dedication to somthing and that you really want it !

"It's all about how badly you want it. If you want it bad you will get it!"