Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auto Scroll Windows Folders?

• Please log in to reply

sammytexas

sammytexas

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
First off, I don't know if it's "auto-scroll" or "scroll lock" that I'm talking about, but I seem to remember being able to do it in folders that had alot of files and can't anymore. What I'm wanting is, on web pages I can click the scroll wheel and it automaticly scrolls down the page. Is there a way to do that with folders? Thanks, Jeremy

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yes, go to the control panel (start | Control Panel) and lcick on "Mouse" There should be a tab titled, "Wheel", make sure that the settings are as you want them, this should work for both IE pages and Folders on Windows.

--Chris

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've got that option checked both on my laptop and desktop but it won't work in folders. It works fine with documents, ie pages, and firefox pages but nothing in folders. Any other ideas? thanks

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry, duplicate post

Edited by sammytexas, 18 October 2006 - 06:12 PM.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Is this an Microsoft Intellimouse brand wheel? If it is, there is a fix for that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169906

or here if your running it on XP

http://www.jsifaq.co...ip.aspx?id=5671

if it is not then you can try this tool I found, that will force the wheel to scroll. NOTE! I have NOT tested this myself, since my mouse wheel is working fine. But its free and seems to be a solution for you specific problem. Let me know what happens.

http://www.code-scout.net/katmouse/

--Chris

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes, It is a Mircrosoft mouse that i have. I tried it last night with a Gyration mouse and had the same result. When I get home today i will try what you had suggested and let you know. Another thing that came up last night (and this may be an issue for another post) was when I search in Help and Support i don't get any results form Microsoft Knowledge base. I was connected and tried it both on my PC and on my Laptop. I also searched something that I knew was not to specific (searched "fat32") and got nothing. I have been messing with the startup msconfig and the firewall recently. Do you know what I may have checked/unchecked that would cause this? Thanks for the info and I will get back to you on the mouse. Jeremy

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
So far as the Microsoft knowledge base problem, I dont think its anything you changed, because I looked at my computer at home and the Knowledge base comes up with responses, but when I tried it out at my work and college it showed nothing. I believe it is because my college is on a LAN and the routers firewall may be preventing it from accessing the knowledge base. Whereas at home, I am not on any type of LAN. Let me know if that katmouse program works for you.

--Chris

sammytexas

sammytexas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I checked out both of the links you sent. The Microsort link wasn't what I was needing, the katmouse link was actually a pretty good download but didn't really fix the problem, although if I can't fix it then it atleast does make it easier. It may not be an option to do what i'm wanting, just to clearify what it is, in documents and webpages i can click the scroll wheel and it puts a targer on the screen. Then I can move the cursor above or below it and let go of the mouse and it will scroll at a constant speed until reaching the end. I can scroll in folders but not the auto scroll. No big deal but it would make it easier. Thanks

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
OOOHHHHH, ok, I'm sorry I thought you meant you couldn't use the scroll wheel at all, even by just rolling the wheel up and down. No I don't think there is a way to scroll through explorer windows by clicking the wheel and using the target cursor you mentioned. Are you able to roll the wheel up and down and scroll through different windows? Again I"m sorry I misunderstood your question.

--Chris