Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Live Update Install ERASED EVERYTHING

• Please log in to reply

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i got onto the site somehow again and when i chose RUN IT NOW i get up to step 2. validating the installation package and it just dosent go anywhere from there. i chose the option, what if this dosent work and tried to download it to my desktop and run it. it downloads but is like every other icon on my computer, a blank icon as if the program has been erased and its just the icon. how does firefox work when i access it from the start menu and when i go to the place its supposed to be located at it is just the same blank icon? it honestly works fine when i open it from the start menu, its the only thing that will open. when i try and run it from the download box it says an external application must be launched to handle this file

file:///C:%5DOCUMENT%20AND%20SETTINGS%5COWNER%5CDESKTOP%5CNORTON_REMOVAL_t..........
then the box runs out of room. it also says if you were not expecting this request it may be an attempt to exploit a weakness in that other programs cancel this request unless you are sure it is not malicious. I still clicked launch application which does nothing. I wonder if this is a virus. i have called computer fixing places and they all say thats what it seems to be. i guess i would just be suprised if for one second we didnt have live update or norton antivirus a virus would infect this comptuer out of nowhere.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you try in safe mode.
If you still have internet then do a scan from my signature
there is a link to an online scan

prehiatusphish

prehiatusphish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i was waiting for the box to pop up in safe mode asking me to connect and it dosent come up. only when i boot up regular. i got onto the site and clicked the link in your previous post but it still just dosent get past step two. im still in safe mode waiting for it to connect hopfully but nothign so far. i dont know how it automatically comes up and askes me to connect.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok lets disable startup items.
Restart the computer as for normal and hold the shift key in. Hold it from bootup till the desktop appears. Any change?