Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bare with me on this newb question.

• Please log in to reply

spamn

spamn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My friend and I play world of warcraft. I have a brand new HP computer and the onboard graphics are the nicest I've ever seen (onboard). He has an older computer but he had his mobo replaced. The new mobo is an Asus A8V-MX and it has a AMD 64 X2 3500+ CPU. However, his onboard graphics are horrible. He is wanting to buy a graphics card but has no idea which or why. He just want to be able to play World of Warcraft without the lag and what not.

Now, I have no idea what graphics cards he can get with that mobo and what not. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

My friend and I play world of warcraft. I have a brand new HP computer and the onboard graphics are the nicest I've ever seen (onboard). He has an older computer but he had his mobo replaced. The new mobo is an Asus A8V-MX and it has a AMD 64 X2 3500+ CPU. However, his onboard graphics are horrible. He is wanting to buy a graphics card but has no idea which or why. He just want to be able to play World of Warcraft without the lag and what not.

Now, I have no idea what graphics cards he can get with that mobo and what not. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks.

The Asus A8V-MX that you are referring to has an AGP 8X slot for video cards.. Just use google and type in the motherboard model and many many sites list the specs of the board.

Since you are limited to AGP 8x look at nvidia 6800xt, 6800gs, or ati x800xt or a x850 series. You are limited because of it not being pci express but there is nothing wrong with agp 8x its just older than the newer pci express technology. :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ps all the x1600 ati video cards are slow except the x1600xt and you wont be happy with those card on WOW.

There is better cards out there than the x1600 series..

Edited by jrm20, 16 October 2006 - 09:47 PM.

spamn

spamn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I understand that he has a AGP 8x slot on the mobo. So he cannot put a PCI graphics card into a PCI slot?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
He can put a STANDARD PCI card into his PCI slot, but he cannot put a PCI EXPRESS card into a standard PCI slot. AGP 8X has a higher bandwidth and AGP cards are higher performance than standard PCI, so he will be much better off going with an AGP card.

spamn

spamn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
You guys lost me. Everything I look up says

Expansion Slots 1 x AGP8X
1 x PCI-E x 1
2 x PCI

That means he has 1 PCI express slot, correct? I understand that the AGP8X is meant for the memory card. Everone says there is no express slot though.

Maybe I'm just confused

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
x1 express is a tiny slot designed fir add on cards its not used very much and they dont make graphics cards for it. Graphics cards for pci-e go in the larger x16 slot he doesnt have one of those. If you look it up on wikipedia or google pci-express it should clear it up for you.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

You guys lost me. Everything I look up says

Expansion Slots 1 x AGP8X
1 x PCI-E x 1
2 x PCI

That means he has 1 PCI express slot, correct? I understand that the AGP8X is meant for the memory card. Everone says there is no express slot though.

Maybe I'm just confused

I knew you had a pci express 1x slot but the 1x slot is not for video cards lol...

You need to read what warriorscot said.

Pci express 16x is the pci express slot used for the new graphics card an you do not have a 16x slot.

spamn

spamn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry. I was confused. I was looking at the x 1 as the amount. I get it.

So an AGP8X or 4X card.. but what's the best bang for the buck in that area? Like I said he just wants a card that will make his WOW gameplay not lag like it does now. I'm sure anything other than his onboard graphics would help.

Someone recommended some cards and then JRM20 said there are better cards out there. What cards do you speak of?

Basically what I'm asking is what do you look for in a graphics card? I don't know anything about them. We've established what type he needs to fit his mobo. He doesn't care about the number of outputs or types. He just wants to plug his monitor in and play WOW.

What specs should I look for?

Edited by spamn, 17 October 2006 - 07:33 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
256 mb of GDDR3 ram at least, well you arent going to get much choice on AGP, AGP is pretty much in its death throws as a socket its not used anymore and there is very few new cards made for it.

Im fairly sure you can get a 7600 in AGP form that would maybe be your best bet, maybe something older though like an x850XT.