Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To partition or not to partition?

• Please log in to reply

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
....That is the question.

Having recently had to re-install XP from my OEM disk (reformatting c: drive) and not having used any partitions in the past I lost all my installed programs etc (but did have important doc/pics backed up :whistling: ). It was more annoying than anything else having to re-insatll all my programs.

Now I wish to create a 2 partitions as recommended 1 for all the OS etc and the other for programs etc.

When I get to the disk management application inXP I can see that I have only 1 60GB partition with no 'unallocated space' avaliable and I am unable to create a new one!!

How should I proceed, I have read of some bad things happening in attemping this. What are the pitfalls and
Please bear in mind I am a Hardware orientated person and I am trying to learn so go easy.

Thanks

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
There are two ways of doing this.

1. On the fly partition resizing.

For this you'll need some sort of third party partition management software such as Partition Manager. With the software you can change the partitions on your hard drive as many times as you like.

2. Reformatting the PC.

For this all you need to do is boot from the XP CD and when it asks you where you want to install Windows delete the partitions and setup two.

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks ZEUS
I think I will go for option 1 '3rd party software'

Being a bit cheap are there any freeware versions of said tools you could recommend?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I don't think i've seen a free one before but a Google search might help.

Before you resize your partitions make sure you have an up to date backup of your important data just in case.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 17 October 2006 - 02:49 AM.

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi,

Even if you have multiple partitions, if you have to reformat the OS partition and reinstall your OS you will have to reinstall the applications too, even if they are on a separate partition, as there will be no registry entries for them any more, and as such they may not function properly if at all.

Another solution to consider would be to use oneof the partitions to hold an 'image' of the system, Programs that can do this are Acronis True Image & Norton Ghost.

JH

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
"Having recently had to re-install XP from my OEM disk (reformatting c: drive) and not having used any partitions in the past....."

Just one comment to make, AtomBomb, which other posters haven't pointed out to you. A functioning hard disk ALWAYS has at least one partition, so you have been using a partition all the time without even realising it! A drive letter (such as C:) represents a partition.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Atom Bomb
Partition Magic works like a charm.
The Idea is you either make a ghost image on another partition(need space for this) or if you have a burner or network
you back up your computer including the system state. This way when you need to reinstall or you have to do is reload windows then run the backup program and reinstall. All the programs will work as before with out having
to reload them as you will be replacing the new windows install with the old one that has all the registry information.
I thought your recovery cd gave the option NOT to reformat? :whistling:
Cheers
Peterm

AtomBomb

AtomBomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I thought your recovery cd gave the option NOT to reformat? :whistling:
Cheers

Thanks for the comments guys I will look into Partition magic.

Unfortunately my 'tosihiba' recovery disk does not give the option not to reformat! :blink:

When trying to fix a problem it seems that the xp installation disk is a 'must have'.
With the xp (Pro) disk I borrowed from my mate when I came to reinstall the OS it asked me for the Product Key (which I don't have).
How could I go about getting my own xp home installation disk so I can use it with the product key on my laptop. Although it was preinstalled on laptop I do have a genuine copy of xp home and should be entitled to this disk !!??
All I have is my OEM disk and we know the limited options it has (see above).

Atom