Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm a newbie running Windows XP Home. I have recenctly installed Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite on my puter. Now my Windows Live Messenger will not sign in. I get this Error Code:8100306. I did the troubleshooting things that they suggested but it still won't work. I need step-by step directions to fix this problem. I have tried to un-install & re-install Windows Live Messenger but it still not working! Thanks for any help that you can give to me!

Advertisements

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Try this procedure, it may help.

Configuring Windows Live Messenger through the Zone Alarm firewall
1. From the system tray, near the system clock, right click on the ZoneAlarm Pro icon, and choose Restore ZoneAlarm Pro Control Center.
2. In the ZoneAlarm Pro Control Center window, click on Programs. Note: If you have ZoneAlarm Security Suite installed, the short-cut menu and options may be different. Choose the most appropriate menu option to launch ZoneAlarm Program Control console.
3. In the Programs tab, you will see the list of applications that are allowed access to the Internet, and their access permissions.
If Messenger appears more than once in the Programs list, one or more of the entries may be for earlier versions of Messenger that were previously installed on your computer. In this case, please proceed to step 4.
If Messenger is not listed, proceed to Step 5.
If Messenger only appears once on the Programs list, proceed to Step 6.
4. Remove earlier versions of Messenger from the list by following the steps below:
4.a. Select each of the entries for Messenger and take note of the Messenger version in the Entry Detail box.
4.b. If the version does not match with the version that you are currently using, right click on Messenger and choose Remove.
5. To add Windows Live Messenger through the ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, click on Add below the Programs list.
5.a. Browse to locate MSN Messenger by going to C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\.
5.b. Select msnmsgr.exe and click Open.
5.c. Select the newly created Messenger entry in the Programs list.
5.d. Click on the Trust Level icon for Messenger, and choose Trusted.
5.e. Click on each of the question marks under the Access column for Messenger, and choose Allow. Do the same for the question marks under the Server column.
6. To modify the access permitted to Messenger:
6.a. Select Messenger from the Programs list.
6.b. Click on the Trust Level icon for Messenger, and choose Trusted.
6.c. Click on each of the icons under the Access column for Messenger, and choose Allow. Do the same for the icons under the Server column.

*** taken from the Windows Live Space blog ***

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
:whistling: I did what you said to do & still no luck! Do you have any other ideas? Anything to get it working again! thanks in advance!

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Check the setting on messenger in ZA
  • open Zone Alarm
  • click on program control
  • if smart defense is AUTO, change to custom
Restart your computer and give messenger a try.

shih-tzucrazy1

shih-tzucrazy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Did it & still not working. Nice try though! LOL