Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not being able to send a Page or Link

• Please log in to reply

nicole0904

nicole0904

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When trying to send a page or link by email through Internet Explorer nothing happens. This is only happening on one of many other computers.

I've made sure that Outlook 2003 is set to the default mail handler through Internet Explorer and through Outlook. I also had a suggestion to check the FolderOptions - file types - NONE: URL HyperText Transfer Protocol. That matched a working PC.

It did work once the other day, which confuses me even more.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you clicking on a web page link that states "Email This Page to a Friend" or something identical or are you right-clicking on the page or link and choosing a menu option like "Send This Link" or trying to copy/paste a web page into your email?

A web page that has a link to email may use its own form to send email. The right-click menu you may have to send a link by email will use your own Outlook to send the email. Other email links may call up Outlook (or whatever default email app) if it has the standard email form, [email protected].

Ron

pavian

pavian

• Pip
  • 5 posts

When trying to send a page or link by email through Internet Explorer nothing happens. This is only happening on one of many other computers.

I've made sure that Outlook 2003 is set to the default mail handler through Internet Explorer and through Outlook. I also had a suggestion to check the FolderOptions - file types - NONE: URL HyperText Transfer Protocol. That matched a working PC.

It did work once the other day, which confuses me even more.

View Post

I've right same problem, If I want send page as e-email via Internet Explorer 6.0.3790.0 (IE is higher than SP1, but no SPx is described) - nothing happens.
Default mail program is Outlook, nothing. If I try Outlook Express or anything else - same problem - nothing happens.

Windows 2003 server no#1 - problem
Windows 2003 server no#2 - OK
lot of Win XP workstations - OK

... all machines is installed at same time by me, same appz, same steps.

:tazz: HAVE ANYBODY RESOLUTION PLEASE???

any permitions? patches? I don't know! ;)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Again noone has listed the steps they were trying to use when "problem" occurred. Just for review :

***Using Internet Explorer Menus***

New - Select Window to open a new browser window. You can also use the keyboard combination Ctrl + N (hold down Ctrl while you tap N)

Open - Use this option to open a web page on the Internet, or one stored on your computer. However, IE can be used to open any type of document stored on your computer; PowerPoint shows, Excel spreadsheets, Word documents and many more.

Edit With ... - Perfect for editing the WebQuest or WebGuide templates. Some versions of IE are set to edit with Netscape Composer, others are set to use MS Word.

Save As... - IE has it all over Netscape with this option. Choose Save As... and all images associated with the page are saved in the same place as the web page text.

Page Setup... - Use this option to change from Portrait to landscape, add a header or footer, or change the margins.

Print Preview... - See what the page will look like before printing.
Send - Send the page you are viewing, or the URL of the page, by Email.

Import and Export... - Use this option to Import favorites you saved on a disk from another computer.

***To insert a link to a web page in an email with Outlook Express***

1) Open the page you want to link to in your browser.
2)Highlight the URL in the browser's address bar. The URL typically begins with "http://", "https://" or maybe "ftp://".
3) Hit Ctrl-C.
4) Use the mouse to highlight the word or passage in the message you are composing in Outlook Express.
5) Click the Create a Hyperlink button in the message's formatting toolbar. You can also select Insert | Hyperlink... from the message's menu.
6) Hit Ctrl-V.
7) Click OK.

For those who think this isn't what I need, maybe this at :

Send Links By E-mail

Now, if you include what you were trying to do step by step, maybe something specific can be added.

:tazz: Ron

nicole0904

nicole0904

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
In Internet Explorer we are trying to click file-Send-Page by Email (or Link by Email).

Nothing happens.

It should open outlook with the page or link in a new message, it works for all of the other computers. I've compared settings and made sure outlook is set to default mail handler.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Sorry, work late at night and head gets foggy. Outlook has security settings that will give you problems doing this.

On a system with that configuration, when you're in IE and you choose File, Send, Link by E-mail, a new message opens that contains a .url file but no text representation of the link in the body of the message. (Instead, the body of the message contains the not-very-helpful text, "Your files are attached and ready to send with this message.")

The .url file presents two problems. First, secure versions of Outlook block .url files by default. You can't remove the .url file from the message, and secure Outlook recipients won't see the .url file, much less be able to open it. Second, the .url file will work only for recipients with Windows (and unsecure versions of Outlook or another email client).

Equally ridiculous is the requirement that, if you want to send a Web page as an email message--not as a link but with the page content as the message--you first must make sure that the default message format for Outlook is HTML. Even if HTML is the default, the behavior of IE's File, Send, Page by E-mail command is unpredictable.

If the Web page is too complex, the resulting message will include the Web page attached as a file rather than embedded in the message. However, you can't tell in advance whether a particular page is over the complexity threshold. You just have to experiment. Wouldn't it be nice if IE offered a pop-up dialog box that said, "This page is too complex to send in an embedded message. Would you like to send it as an attachment or a link instead?"

This info may not help you too much, but I'm checking in IE's Internet Options whether I have the problem with Outlook version I have. Use Outlook Express and it works fine as it brings up the email window to send the page and the page appears in the bottom window ok after clicking send>page by email. I don't have Outlook 2003, but will see what happens to my version first, then get back to you. Maybe someone, in between time, will come up with better help than I have.

Ron

htolino

htolino

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You might want to make sure that Outlook is in cached mode; if it's not cached, IE will give up if the Exchange server doesn't respond immediately to your request.

pavian

pavian

• Pip
  • 5 posts

You might want to make sure that Outlook is in cached mode; if it's not cached, IE will give up if the Exchange server doesn't respond immediately to your request.

View Post

I mean this is not birth of problem. I'm testing with OutlookExpress OutlookExpress and nothing happens too.

But if You are right, that's problem, because I've Exchange server and Terminal Server on same machine and Outlook disallow cached mode if Outlook runs on same machine with exchange server.

pavian

pavian

• Pip
  • 5 posts
BTW> Copy&Paste is no-way solution. I can't learn all workers in corporation a couple of steps. DAMNED M$ !!!

nicole0904

nicole0904

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

View Post

Doen't help. But I did notice something interesting!

When clicking on a mailto:[email protected] OUTLOOK EXPRESS opens! Outlook Express isn't set up for email in Internet Explorer. It's like the computer isn't even realizing that Outlook 2003 is on it? Also when clicking a shortcut then mail to nothing happens.

Would reinstalling Outlook 2003 make any difference?
On a computer that does work IE version is 6.0.290.2180.(some other stuff)
the one thats not working is version 6.0.2800.1106.(some other stuff)
Would the version make any difference?

*headache*

Edited by nicole0904, 15 April 2005 - 08:10 AM.

nicole0904

nicole0904

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
possibly something in the registry?

pavian

pavian

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is not problem with versions...

Windows 2003 server no#1 - machine with problem - MSIE v. 6.0.3790.0
Windows 2003 server no#2 - OK - MSIE v. 6.0.3790.0
lot of Win XP workstations - OK - MSIE v. 6.0.29.00.2180

nicole0904

nicole0904

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I didn't really think so, but sometimes the things that you least expect are the ones that seem to be the culprit.

You think something so simple would be simple to solve?

Someone here did mention something about security with Outlook 2003 that they thought was the problem?!?

nicole0904

nicole0904

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just re-installed Outlook 2003. Still is funny but it works.

pavian

pavian

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, now it's weekend - I may try it... Rock'n'roll...
M$ SUCKS!

PAST REINSTALL (MS OFFICE 2k3): ... nothing happens !!!

Edited by pavian, 25 April 2005 - 02:14 AM.