Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB to Ethernet connector converter

• Please log in to reply

silver1

silver1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi there, I'm thinking about cancelling my current internet service provider and paying my neighbor a small amount each month so i can legally access his wireless network. Now, this is the thing. Right now i have a wireless router that provides internet to my wired PC, my wireless laptop and my Vonage telephone adapter. I could get a usb wireless adapter for my PC and forget about the router, but the problem is that i still need to connect the Vonage thing to my router cause the vonage phone adapter only has Ethernet connectors for the input. I have a possible solution and i need you to help me here. I'm thinking about getting a USB wireless adapter an connect it to the input side of my router, keeping my current configuration, but the problem is that all the wireless adapters that i've seen come with a male USB connector and i need to convert it to Ethernet (RJ-45). How can i convert it and where can i find a converter like that. All the ones i see are USB male and RJ-45 female. I need it the other way around, RJ-45 male to USB female. And of course, is this going to work? i think so.

Thanks

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
First off, if your going to be running Vonage and your home network off your neighbor's wireless, its gonna be slow as [bleep]. You will probably have very poor quality phone calls, especially with the wireless and then having a conversion to ethernet. Unless hes running Pre-N or N1 and you have N1 cards installed, its gonna be terrible and most costly then keeping your home line. My suggestion is to keep your ISP and save yourself a big headache in the long run.

But hey, heres what you'll need, google is usually helpful :whistling:
http://www.usbfirewire.com/
Check out that site, you'll find it on there.