Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Win XP Pro!

• Please log in to reply

Owlet

Owlet

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi.

I would greatly appreciate if somebody can help me. I can't install Win XP om my new Sony laptop.

Here's my problem. I boot from CD with Win XP, it loads all those drivers and stuff, and then it shows a choice
1. Set upWindows
2. Repair
3. Quit
I choose first to install Windows, and a message appeares "did not find any hard disc drives installed", which is [bleep], because the computer works just fine. What's the problem? Is that a Sony trick to prevent me from installing a different OS without all their pre-installed programs? Their support didn't help. Hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the HDD in the laptop is a SATA drive (it may be, it may not be) then Windows won't see it until you feed it the driver that allows it to talk to the drive.

Easiest way to find out is the Sony website, and there should also be a download to allow Windows to be able to see the drive.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
At the appropriate time the windows CD will ask you if you need to install third party/Raid drivers. You will usually hit F6 to install a SCSI/RAID driver (SATA apparently appears as a SCSI disk) and put in the disk that came with my motherboard. Most early sata drivers you had to install from a floppy drive. If you do not have a floppy drive in the computer you need to either go with nliteos to make a iso with sata drivers already installed, or see if you can use a usb flash drive to install the drivers.

http://www.nliteos.com/

http://support.micro...kb/916196/en-us

Heres a fix that a number of people say works.

re: Installing Windows with Additional Drivers and no Floppy drive? Sep 14, 2006 13:55 Spiff

I have recently created a fix for using USB Floppy drives for the F6 Driver install. This fix will add support for the for the other five USB floppy drives that windows doesn't support by default in the text mode portion of setup. I have tested this fix using a Sony USB floppy drive on Windows XP sp2 and Windows Server 2003 x64.

This fix should work on Windows 2000 and up, ( including x64 versions of windows)

Create your Storage device driver disk and open textsetup.oem in notepad.
Add the following lines to the bottom of the [HardwareIds.scsi.(device name)] section
If this section does not exist you must create it

id = "USB\VID_03F0&PID_2001", "usbstor"
id = "USB\VID_054C&PID_002C", "usbstor"
id = "USB\VID_057B&PID_0001", "usbstor"
id = "USB\VID_0644&PID_0000", "usbstor"

Here is an example file
#//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Disks]
d1 = "Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology",\MegaSR,\

[Defaults]
scsi = MegaSR

[scsi]
MegaSR ="Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology (Windows XP/2003 64-bit)", MegaSR

[Files.scsi.MegaSR]
driver = d1, MegaSR.sys, MegaSR
inf = d1, MegaSR.inf
inf = d1, NODEV.inf
catalog = d1, MegaSR.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.MegaSR]
id="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&SUBSYS_10901734", "MegaSR"
id="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2683&SUBSYS_10901734", "MegaSR"
id="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&SUBSYS_81FF1043", "MegaSR"
#--The following lines give additional USB floppy support
id = "USB\VID_03F0&PID_2001", "usbstor"
id = "USB\VID_054C&PID_002C", "usbstor"
id = "USB\VID_057B&PID_0001", "usbstor"

[Config.MegaSR]
value = "Parameters\PnpInterface", 5, REG_DWORD, 1

#//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SRX660

PS, i really need to proof read my answers to fix misspelled words.

Edited by SRX660, 17 October 2006 - 05:58 PM.

Owlet

Owlet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think I've found the driver, but I don't have a floppy drive, of course. Sorry, but I didn't understand how to install that driver without floppy. Can I use a USB flash?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your bios will let you use a flash drive in floppy mode you can install the sata drivers that way. Heres another method some people have had success with.

http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=13173

You should also read this article to see if its possible for you to do.

http://maximumpc.com...o_slipstre.html

SRX660