Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random high CPU usage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Buzz Buzz

Buzz Buzz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, basic stuff first. XP with SP2, McAfee Security Center, 2.8 gHz processor, 512 megs RAM...I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but that's the basics.

As I sit at my computer, going about my usual business of browsing the net in Firefox, my CPU Usage spikes all of a sudden. This is not associated with any webpage in particular or any time in particular. Firefox will start eating about 50% of my CPU usage. Nothing will stop that save killing the process, so I do that. However, that usage then immediately jumps over to another program. Usually it only hops onto one or two other programs before it finally disappears. No error messages, no blue screens, just high CPU usage.

What prompts me to come over here is my most recent dance with this thing in which it would not disappear through any amount of process kills. Explorer.exe started getting the 50% usage, and I killed that, and restarted it using the Run command, and it would come right back with 50% usage. I tried to restart, and the 50% usage appeared in a number of processes that had to be killed before the computer would finally shut down.

This used to be a problem associated with Magic Workstation's Play module, which is a program for playing a card game over the internet. However, it has now crept into other programs. I'm in the process of preparing my system to properly post a HijackThis log, but I wondered if this problem might have appeared in the past and if it wasn't a malware issue. So, if it's familiar to someone, please let me know. Otherwise, the scans continue, which is probably a good thing anyway.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Being helped in Malware:
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=135082

This thread will therefor be closed.