Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How would u rate my pc and what can i do to make it better

• Please log in to reply

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Tell me what you think about my pc and how i should upgrade it to make i better
Asus P5LD2-VM micro atx mobo
Intel Pentium 4 515j 2.93 ghz processor
1.5 gb ddr2 667 mhz ram
250 gb western digital sata hdd
160 gb sata hdd
16x dvd rw
16xdvd rom second drive
24 in 1 card reader
ATI Radeon x1300 pro pci-e
Windows XP Pro 64-bit

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Two things stand out on your spec's.

Unless this was a kit you bought you limited yourself a gread deal by using the 515 processor. Your Mb can even use the Core2 duo processors and i would switch to one of them if you can afford it. The difference will be amazing. Even the Core 2 Duo 1.86 processor will blow your present cpu out the door. Buy the fastest Core2 you can afford. I would settle for a 2.13 cpu if possible. the 2.13 costs $220.

The video card is pretty old now. a switch to a X1600 will double your core and memory clock speed, and triple the pipelines over the 1300. The cost is about $125. If you don't do any gaming the 1300 will probably do fine.

So for another $350 you can have a top of the line computer that should last 2 to 3 years before technology dictates a newer faster computer.

Another thought here is i don't particularly like in-computer multiple card readers. I have disliked having 4 to 6 different extra drive letters for the readers. i personally have a SD card adapter that lets me transfer my digital camera pictures and doubles as my flashdrive. i also use a USB external compact flash reader for my mini-cam cards. That way i can hook them up when i need then and they don't permanately install on my computer.

http://www.surplusco...p;item=DRV10938

SRX660

Dan1887

Dan1887

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I did buy this computer it came as a compaq sr 1430nx which lets be honest isn;t great so what i ahve done to it is a considerable upgrade. I do do some gaming but not a considerable amount and not on graphic intensive games so thats why i bought the x1300 the x1600 was only 40 dollars more but i decided not to go for it. I know the processor is weak and I do plan on changing it I like the core duo's just waiting for the newest one to come out before i get it. I also dislike the built in card reader and considered not pluging in the connectors for it when i installed the mobo but i decided to anyways. I also have a 32in1 card reader on my printer. Thanks for your input.

Edited by Dan1887, 19 October 2006 - 04:35 PM.