Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Started w/ PuritySCAN, pop-ups by OuterInfo, now have Generic2 virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DFS

DFS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, it 'seems' to have been resolved. I have no idea how, I didn't do a dam thing except drive home??? Any ideas?
I clicked on extensions from the tools menu in Firefox and it just opened up an empty window basically.

Should I change my settings back now, the Windows Defender, hide hidden folders, etc. Can I trash the FixME file? What should I be on the lookout for now? All my scans the past few days have been pretty clean, cleaner than normal.

Thanks again! :whistling:

Edited by DFS, 24 October 2006 - 05:53 AM.

Advertisements

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
Great.

You can now fire up Windows Defender again.. You can remove the FixMe file whenever you want.. And I'll teach you later on how to hide hidden files/folders again.

Now that you're clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

1.) Re-Hide System Files and Folders:
  • Click Start
  • Open My Computer
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
  • Select the View tab
  • Deselect the Show hidden files and folders option
  • Select the Hide protected operating system files option
  • Click Yes to confirm
  • Click OK
2.) Reset and Re-enable your System Restore

We need to do this to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)
  • Click Start » Run » ( type: SYSDM.CPL ) » OK
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check - Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply.
  • Uncheck - Turn off System Restore.
  • Click OK.
You have now flushed your previous System Restore points, so we will make a new one again since your computer is already clean.
  • Go to Start » All Programs » Accessories » System Tools, and select System Restore
  • In the System Restore prompt, select: Create a restore point
  • Click Next
  • Give a description to the new Restore Point. (Something like: Clean PC)
  • Click Create
  • Then close the window
3.) How to Prevent Re-Infection

Please take your time reading on this list, it is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  • Windows Updates (a must!) - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this, open Internet Explorer, then and select Tools » Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • Firewall (a must!) - It is definitely a must have. Two good free versions are Kerio and ZoneAlarm.
  • Anti-Virus (a must!) - It is also a must have. Two good programs are Avast and AVG, they're both free.
    Note: You must only use 1 (one) AV because if you have 2 AVs, it will conflict with each other and will only make your system slow.
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein.

DFS

DFS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey, thanks, I did the restore procedure and I have gathered most of those programs over the past few days already.

I got an alert from my firewall today the Spooler SubSystem is trying to access the internet. I don't know of this application, is it bad? I denied it.

Thanks again. :whistling:

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
My pleasure. :whistling:

I got an alert from my firewall today the Spooler SubSystem is trying to access the internet. I don't know of this application, is it bad? I denied it.

No, that one is legit. It belongs to the printer.

DFS

DFS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Looks like I'm all good now. Thanks again! I learned a lot about computers in the past 3ish weeks. :whistling:

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
My pleasure! :whistling:

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.