Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Didn't know where to post this...

• Please log in to reply

ldude69000

ldude69000

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,
I've posted this also on a Nvidia Tech support forum but you guys always solve my problems and i think it would be rude not to give you that chance now :whistling: Well for the past..awhile... i've been trying to dl a driver for my nvidia geforce 4 mx ( currently version 6.14.0010.7777 (english) ). Yes it is very old, in fact i don't believe i have even installed a new driver since buying my computer.

Well here's the problem, i go to the Nvidia official site and download the appropriate driver, and install it and restart etc. Well i restart and come back with the settings all default ( like the 800x600 ) so i change all that and try to enter various games ( for example Counterstrike Source ). When i try to play these games they turn all wierd like the screen has a bunch of red and green lines and everythings really distorted. I could probably get a screenshot if you want. But anyways this distortion problem happens on like all games and therefor i system restart back to when i have had the original driver. I've never really bothered dealing with the problem ever since.

NOw if you could help me that would be great :blink: Oh and btw if this isn't in the proper section than tell me what to put it in/move it :help:

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One problem with Nvidia is that you need to uninstall the old drivers for the cards before installing new drivers. Usually the drivers are in the add/remove cpl in control panel. Really, you are quite lucky as most of the time double sets of video drivers causes a repeative reboot of windows before it even gets to the desktop. You usually have to do a repair install to fix it.

I would remove all nvidia drivers, then reboot the computer to double check that they are gone, then install the new drivers.

SRX660

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Should i 'remove all nvidia drivers, including display' or excluding display?
Thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have display drivers along with Nvidia drivers in the add/remove panel it is because you have on-board video with the motherboard. Since the on-board video is disabled in the bios so you can use the nvidia card you do not have to remove the drivers from add/remove. They are not being used anyway and if you need to switch back to the on-board video the drivers are there.

SRX660

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
EDIT: OK well i did all the installing right. But again when I play the game it is distorted. However it isn't as distorted as it was because now its more b lack and white and i can barely see anything. Know whats wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by ldude69000, 20 October 2006 - 07:43 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now you need to adjust your display settings. Is only the game very dark?

SRX660

ldude69000

ldude69000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no the game's buttons were all messed up, and when i clicked ( well what i thought was the server button... the whole screen was black so i had to guess the place of the server button), a bunch of servers came up and everything was all wierd like the words were white boxes...should i just give u a screenie?

Edited by ldude69000, 21 October 2006 - 09:13 AM.