Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble since installing more RAM

• Please log in to reply

creay

creay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm hoping someone here can help me... I have a Compaq Presario R3000 laptop (2.80Ghz CPU) that's a little over two years old. I have been displeased with its decreasing speed especially when running CS2 apps or Poser, 3DMax, etc. But I won't be able to consider getting a new laptop until at least next year. So I figured upgrading the memory would help. I upgraded to 2GB of RAM a few weeks ago (had the computer place instal if for me since only one memory bay is accessable to the user). I double checked the specs and everything, and the computer was rated to be able to handle up to that much memory.

However, ever since I did that I have A.) not seen a significant increase in the speed sadly, and B.) been having all kinds of issues with my computer that I wasn't having before.

Twice I've gotten the blue screen of death once with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050 error and once with a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a error. Both occured when I was just copying and pasting text. Programs have been mysteriously crashing and not working right. Like right now, if I try to type an address into my IE address bar, explorer will pop up an error message and close. I can only navigate to places through my favorites or google or etc. Can't type URLs. If I turn the computer off and reboot it will probably fix it for now, but all these weird problems are getting out of contol. :whistling:

I've got to assume that it's the new memory causing these problems. However, since I had to drop over $300 to get it and can't return it, I'm really hoping that having to remove it is not my only option here. Is there something in my bios or registry or whatever that's gotten screwed up because of the new hardware? Is there some way to fix this?

Would it help if I just backed everything up, F-disked the computer and rebuilt it from scratch?

Please help. :blink:

Thanks!!

Advertisements

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Boot into your BIOS then Load Optimum Defaults. If that still doesn't make a difference, I'd say you're best to wipe your harddrive and start again. Make sure you make backups of all necessary data - pen drives, external harddrives, cd-rw's will help. If none of these help, I'd take it back to the computer shop, as the new RAM is obviously causing internal errors due to the ram.

creay

creay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, I will try that, thanks! :whistling: