Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply

pepjag

pepjag

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yesterday I turn on my comp and no sound was coming from my speakers. My speakers r fine, so it has 2 be the sound card. It is a Realtek AC97 and I dont know what 2 do. My drivers r up 2 date.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, this one interests me
remember I am working blind so bare with me
also if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

Edited by fleamailman, 20 October 2006 - 02:32 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
let's see:

before anything esle
- try headphones to rule out speakers

runbox command
- press buttons on keyboard: winkey + r button
- paste: mmsys.cpl
- press: enter
- click: advanced
- see if your settings are for your configuration.

runbox command
- paste: sndvol32.exe
- check to see if none have turned down or muted

runbox command
- paste: devmgmt.msc
- see if there are yellow blobs on sound devices, means missing drivers.

pepjag

pepjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
My speakers r fine. I tried the first option, it says theres no audio device and everything is grayed out:FAILED. Second option, says theres no active mixer devices availiable:FAILED. Third option, all drivers r fine and up 2 date:FAILED.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
questions
- tell me more about what exactly is graed out in the mmsys.cpl
- if we uninstall the driver, do you have the driver on an installation cd
- it could be also that card has slipped in the slot
- can you think of any reason why this sound card has stopped working

Edited by fleamailman, 20 October 2006 - 03:07 PM.

pepjag

pepjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
everything is grayed out; no; no idea what youre talking about; and no., it just happened one morning.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I will explain on my side, but your reply of 'everything is grayed out' in the sound control panel is not telling me anything and I will pass if you don't level with me here on whether the whole window or which parts are grayed, there are five tabs in that control panel

I am thinking of uninstalling the driver of your sound card from device manager devmgmt.cpl, and then reinstalling it so therefore I asked you if you have that driver stored somewhere usually on a cd that comes with sound card installed on your computer

I am thinking that the sound card may have slipped or something and therefore may ask you to take it out and put it back once

I asked you if anything had happened, meaning did you download someting, install some new program, etc.,

Another point, please could I know what computer model you have

thanks

pepjag

pepjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
In the sounds menu, everything except the hardware tab is grayed out. I tried uninstalling the driver then I downloaded an even more recent driver so it should have been better, but no. I highly doubt the sound card slipped, I have never moved the hardware. I dont think anything I downloaded couldve done this. All ive downloaded were like 14 updates from microsoft.

And if I didnt give system info, my comp is an HP Pavilion a556x with XP home. Its about 4 years old.

Update: OK this is wierd. When I turn on my comp, my sound works for maybe 5-10 minutes, then it dies for the rest of the period. It is definetely not the speakers

Edited by pepjag, 23 October 2006 - 06:39 PM.

pepjag

pepjag

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, ive been busy so I havent had the time to reply. I still have the stupid sound problem. I bought a new sound card like a month ago, it is a Creative X-fi Xtreme Audio. it worked for a week, then the same problem started again. The sound only works for little thing like sound effects on AIM.

Edited by pepjag, 10 December 2006 - 04:12 PM.