Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help on command line pls.

• Please log in to reply

MaMister

MaMister

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi,

I would like to know what is the command for delete files and shortcuts on current user desktop.

Is it del C:\documents and settings\*\local settings\desktop\popup blocker stops popups.lnk?

Using winxp pro. I know it is easlier to use windows explorer but I am doing this for interest.

Thank you.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
All of the following will work

del C:\"documents and settings"\{short profile name or long profile name in quotes}\desktop\"popup blocker stops popups.lnk"

del C:\"documents and settings"\{short profile name or long profile name in quotes}\desktop\popupb~1.lnk

del C:\docume~1\{short profile name or long profile name in quotes}\desktop\"popup blocker stops popups.lnk"

del C:\docume~1\{short profile name or long profile name in quotes}\desktop\popupb~1.lnk

These two are even better because you don't need to know the user profile name, or worry about the "c:\documents and settings" lead in....only works for the currently logged in user, though....very helpful

del "%userprofile%"\desktop\"popup blocker stops popups.lnk"

del "%userprofile%"\desktop\popupb~1.lnk

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks.

I also found out that the file deleted is not in the recyclebin.

Is this normal?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes...you are not using windows to delete the file, so it is bypassing the recycle bin...

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
May I ask if you know of any end task tools for win98 that can be use in command line like the taskkill in winxp?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.teamcti.com/pview/