Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help re security risk

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
My Trend MIcro keeps scanning my PC and bringing up a note of warning that I have a high security threat on my PC and gives me this MS04 027 ID. It suggest checking or updates. In researching this ID from before it seems to be in the area of the Word Pefect Converter of MSOffice. Now I keep my Windows updated regularly and also at the same time I always check my MS Office for updates. Both sources keep telling me I am up todate with Windows XP SP2 and MS Office 2000.

So what is one to do with this seemingly contrary informtion?
Am using a XPSDell 400 with WinXP SP2 and MSOffice 2000

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you read this
Info 1
or this
Info 2

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have to admit I get lost midst sea of information but have attempted to follow through on the info you sent which I had tried to do before. But I seem to go around and around between downloading optional software only to find my PC notes that it has been downloaded before or included in some other download. I usually have not downloaded any software updates that are not critical but this time I did so. The only one I that failed to download was KB896344. Had something to do with 32 versus 64 bit problem. Try as I might could not relocate the file to try to ascertain how to download ( if necessary). So I am still not sure if I have done all required to bring my PC into a safer mode since I had only attended to hi priority updates and not custom software updates. There were no hardware updates available at this time.

Any further suggestions you might have?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nondaj...

KB896344...Unless you are running a 64 bit version of Windows or have a network which includes 64 bit machines with which you share files, you do not need this update and can "hide it" from updating again on the update page using the "Custom" option.

MS04 027...Look in Add or Remove Programs for update KB873379. If it is present, then this update has already been applied and it, too, can be "hidden" from further downloads.

wannabe1

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have both updates listed in Control Panel. Also have two groups of updates: one is entitled hotfixes and/or Security updates; the others are not titled at all - just the dates of the downloads. Know how to hide updates but can one hide just one or two updates and not the others?

And you are saying I do not need the updates you listed?

Also I should not only be installing critical updates but also checking the software and hardware updates too?

After all of this, will that notation from Trend Micro cease? - making me nervous here:)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Nondaj
This will not effect you unless you are running exchange server,
This Link Here (not full of tech stuff) So what operating systems are affected
and what ones are not.
Affected OS

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 21 October 2006 - 03:16 PM.