Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shutdown hangs

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
This is really starting to annoy me. Formatted my tower just last week, and one on three times that I reboot the shutdown sequence hangs for 10 minutes! I've done everything within my knowledge to optimize and help the boot time, had tuneup modify some settings... and yet it still hangs.

I'd like some of your tips on how to fix this issue, cause after all we know it isn't malware, and it definately shouldnt be "wear" on windows itself, this is just some dumb windows malfunction that needs a tweak here and there.

Any insight would be mucho appreciando.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you set this in system control, start and maintenance

[attachment=11322:attachment]

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Indeed I did keith, I thought I had changed it but it still says the defaults, how odd...

**EDIT

That is to say, yeah I changed it to close automatically, but even then, the programs that do stall ask me once they finally decide that they're hanging.

Edited by Vaillant, 21 October 2006 - 07:38 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They updated tune up this week if you haven't already

Have you got an HP printer, or if you disconnect the USB leads for any peripherals, does it shutdown quicker, turning them off will not help

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yeah, but I use USB alot... no HP printer, but I've got these things on USB:

-Cannon printer
-external hdd (usually off I only use it for backups)
-mouse
-webcam
-wire for my mp3 player, which is just to avoid going in the back or pluging it in all the time, the wire just sits on my desk till I plug the player on the USB mini

didnt update tuneup yet, will go do that... your USB explanation makes sense, but isnt there another way to alleviate the problem than unpluggin them?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unplugging them only to tie it down to them, if so, then we can look at the drivers etc for whatever it is

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
yeah I was about to add something sorry keith...
but this hanging problem is NOT constant, it only occurs every once in a while, I cant say if it will help or not...

shutdown hangs often after a long uptime, seeing how my computer is nearly always on, when I reboot after a 15, 20hrs uptime, it hangs on reboot...

now we all know that shouldnt be, and this is what I'm hoping to solve.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Bit of a chore, but when you close a programme, check with task manager processes after a couple of minutes to see it has stopped

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Had already checked that one before... Task manager seems to be ending the processes like it should be doing Keith.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, reboot

It can be that windows is looking for bits of programmes which are no longer on the system

3 am UK - see you later :whistling:

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Allright keith, thanks for your help tonight, I will try that and get back to you... Like I said, it's after a long uptime that it stalls, so will give this a few days, and see if it still stalls.

I'll get back to ya, thanks.

-Joe

rosejo

rosejo

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Anyone know how to remove the .NETBroadcastEventWindow.1.0.5 hang when I try to shutdown or restart Windows XP Pro?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, Keith, thank you again for another problem solved quickly. Wether it be the pagefile or the update to tuneup, the problem has been resolved. All my reboots scince my last post have been extremely quick, as should be expected of a freshly formated (and now running on SATA) windowsXP home.

Thanks, and till the next one :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know