Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

6.1 mandrake tools

• Please log in to reply

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
viavoice is a tux program that shipped with the 6.1 mandrake and a very few other flavors.

question i have is IF i could find a copy of viavoice might it run on some or any of the newer distro's say centOS or or suse.

thanks very much :whistling:

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I imagine it would if you have all the liberaries and the kernal will support them. It could end up being dependency hati though since it was designed to run on the 2.4.x kernal. You might check the IBM site to see if they have continued development since they have their own Linux development team.

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
hiya thanks for reply.

yes ibm now has the viavoice program. i am, in the long run run trying to find assistive wares to help blind self. im not sure if it was yourself or thenotch that said why not spend the time learning a good o/s and not spend it fiddling with all the win housekeeping and other facets of winwoes.

im not sure how linux will help me with assistive/adaptive issues at this point but im sure ill be happier pursuing the grail with it than doing battle daily to just stay using win. im optimistic anyway

ubuntu- i just ordered from shipit and intend to try the flavors recommended by you guys in the know. sooner or later ill find my place.
and flavor i really dig and also has accessibility. im hopeful anyway :whistling:

oh i also ordered centOS and might soon just get an affordable linux pc. my hardware is old anyway.for under 200 bucks loaded with my flavor choice.plenty good for meh

PC has a 2.53 GHz Intel EM64T Celeron D Processor with a 533MHz FSB, 256MB DDR 400 RAM, 13.6GB 7200RPM Hard Disk and an embedded Intel Extreme Graphics engine, 64M shared memory, one AGPro slot, 3 PCI slots, 1 CNR slot, 2 available SATA slots (internal), and 2 UltraDMA IDE slots.

blessed is the dedicated tux box methinks :blink:

Edited by SVDtiger, 22 October 2006 - 10:50 AM.