Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I goofed. Help me fix Outlook Express 6 Please? [RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

rainbo

rainbo

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
New computer. I tried to delete the free trial version of Office 2003. I went to add/remove and removed it. Rebooted and since then, Outlook Express has been totally messed up. I can receive messages but when I try to send anything, a windows installer box pops up for about two minutes. After that, the email sends after saying that spel lcheck has been halted. I went to the microsoft site to see if I could repair it on my own, but the instructions are incredibly confusing for someone who OBVIOUSLY knows nothing about what I'm doing. Can someone issue a quick fix or an easy to understand set of instructions please? Thank you in advance.

PS: I also thought a system restore would do the trick, so I restored to my last save point of last night but it didn't help. I cleared my cache and cleaned up temp files as well.

Edited by rainbo, 22 October 2006 - 09:39 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried a system restore

do you have any recovery disk outlook may be there

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 October 2006 - 02:20 PM.

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Yes, I did system restore to my last saved point, but that didn't help.

I don't have a recovery disk. I'm not sure exactly what that is, so I'll safely assume that I don't have it.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
your other option is to do a system recovery

that can be in your all programs

once you have done this you will have to update windows through microsoft updates

and update your antivirus program being and hp my guess is you have norton installed

you wont lose any data in this process

BUT OFFICE 2003 WILL BE PUT BACK IN ADD AND REMOVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM START ....ALL PROGRAMS....PC HELP AND TOOLS....CLICK ON...SYSTEM RECOVERY

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I tried to do system recovery and I got a totally blue screen that says:

STOP C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry can not load the hive {file}: \system root/system\32\config\security or its log or alternate. It is corrupted, absent or not writable.

I had to reboot to get the blue screen to disappear.

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I also get this error when I click to repair the Microsoft product or when I try to run it from the desktop. As of now, the only problem I'm having is in sending mail out. A windows installer box pops up upon clicking send.

Posted Image

Edited by rainbo, 22 October 2006 - 03:23 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you could try this...start...run...copy /paste this in ... chkdsk /r .,..... type y then you do a restart and

allow this process to take it throught five steps

chkdsk /r will repair some bad sectors

Edited by rushin1nd, 22 October 2006 - 03:26 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well you could give this atry if you dont have xp cd

If you don't have an XP/2000 CD with the Recovery Console on it, you can try removing your hard drive and connecting it your friend's system or installing another Windows system in a different directory. Then you can access the \Windows\System32\Config folder. Copy the files System, Security, Sam, Software and Default to a safe location. Then go to the \Windows\Repair folder. Those five files are your orginal registry files created when XP/2000 was first installed. Copy the file (with the name as the corrupted one) from the \Repair folder and paste it into the \Config folder.

Try to boot your system.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
STOP C0000218>>>>>>this could also indicate that you have other problems other than outlook express
you may have to find a copy of windows xp cd to do the repairs

or you could try doing this

Restart your computer.
Keep pressing function key F8 until a menu appears.
When the PC starts use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the ‘Last known good configuration’ option.
Your PC may be able to reinstall the last known good configuration file with a good and undamaged registry file.
Now restart your PC and see if the problem has been solved.

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I did the last known good configuration and that didn't work, either. I DO have an XP cd that I own, but it was on my last computer. I've only had this computer for a week, and the version of Windows on this one isn't from my cd nor the serial number from my purchased XP cd. Is it possible to use that cd to fix this problem considering that the problem resulted when I tried to uninstall a preloaded program from Best Buy? Will using my cd fix this problem?

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
We're getting somewhere. I disabled spellcheck in Outlook Express and the mails send fine. I really want it fixed, but I can live with it as it is for the moment. Can someone help me get it back to the way it was before I decided to delete Office 2003?

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
This issue was resolved.