Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proxy override 127.0.0.1

• Please log in to reply

maru9597

maru9597

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Every time I try to access my email, I get an alert saying my password for mail server 127.0.0.1 is invalide. This is in Netscape 7.2. Sometimes I can get the alert to leave but when I do, I check my server settings. It has 127.0.0.1 as my server name and has my email address as my user name. Everytime I remove that account and put my real account info, it will work until I log off. When I restart the computer and log into netscape, 127.0.0.1 is back as server.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is a common setting if you use a spam filter on your email account.

The 127.0.0.1 is your machine's loopback address. Many email spam filters run a small server/filter that acts as an intermediary that intercepts your email and tags them so your email program can catagorize them appropriately.

I am guessing you did not setup the spamfilter....?

The question is, what do you want to do? Use the spam filter? Get rid of it?

maru9597

maru9597

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have unistalled my antispam program and now my email works. Thankyou for helping me gerryf. While I was looking for ideas on how to fix this problem, I read "HijackThis Log-help" by jenn. Primesuspect answered that jenn should remove : R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings, ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1 . I thought this would solve my problem so I removed too. Is this a bad thing or no big deal?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, that depends.

It depends on what put it there. In addition to your spam filter, certain web filters use this setting to screen out ads and popups.

Generally speaking, people who have that setting are aware of it (both in email and Internet Settings--the setting is not the same, btw, the one prime is referring to is for the browser, the one in your email spam filter is not shared--or at least not shared by the programs I have seen, which isn't an all inclusive list.)

I am reluctant to have people remove that setting unless I can see what is going on.

maru9597

maru9597

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
If I download another pop up or ad blocker would they come with another version of proxy override? My ISP has a pretty good spam blocker. I don't use a proxy as far as I know an if its not going to make much difference I can probably live without it. Thankyou for the help.