Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are pros+cons of other internet browsers I hate Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I hate internet explorer and think its garbare what are some good internet browsers and where do i download them? I've heard of a bunch like: Opera. firefox, linux, ect.. but dont know much about the differnces.

Advertisements

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Download them all .... then expect/accept the fact you will be in a "learning mode" with all of them for a time. I would suggest you Google "Web Browser" .... and find yourself in instant overload! :whistling: I personally settled on SeaMonkey (an offspring of Mozilla) --- but it all boils down to personal preference. I have not tried Linux --- Opera still (for some reason) makes me a crazy person ... as I said ... it is personal preference. Good luck.... and let us know your decision.

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks i will

lilmama

lilmama

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Insane Guy X: So what did you decide? I gotta tell you .... when I was trying to wean myself away from IE, I was a basket case! :whistling: I just really "hate" change! Now when I "have" to use IE ---- I am in .. and out ... so quick ----- you'd think I was robbing a bank! :blink:

trid2bnrml

trid2bnrml

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
For me, Mozilla Firefox offers so many features that I can't live without it now. Just to be able to add any extensions you want, or not, and to be able to do so many other things like web developer functions---imagine being able to turn off any animation, even those distracting banners! And one thing I can't live without is being able to drag and drop any link, including downloads, to the bookmarks toolbar so I can go back to them later is a blessing.

You can check "whois" right from the drop down menu, delete your internet tracks and personal forms info, save entire websites with spiderzilla, and block practically anything you want to configure.

The themes are great, the css feeds, and built-in blogging tools.

Don't mean to ramble on, but open source is the way to go for me. All you have to do is invest some time on the mozilla.org web site and set up your browser any way that suits your browsing style.

Did I mention that I'm impressed by Mozilla! Not to mention the calendar and outlook replacement "Thunderbird".

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
NETSCAPE... I have always used it, and have found it meets all of my needs. I keep one copy of 4.9, 6.2, 7.2 and the latest on board. I use the 7.x and the 8.x all of the time. 7.x for its easy to use mail function, and 8.x for the odd time 7.x does not function on newer web pages that demand IExplorer...

Fire Fox is defaulted to, as is IExplorer, by 8.x if the need arises...

You will see a lot of similarity in Fire Fox to Netscape...as both grew up together...

There is no internalized mail function in NETSCAEP 8.x, but if 7.x is loaded, it defaults to the internal mail function of 7.x, so you have not lost anything in the change over.

All NETSCAPE downloads/issues are to be found here: http://sillydog.org/

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I used anything except IE until MS brought out the finished version of IE7. Now I find none of the others offers anything that IE7 can't match --and those few things that IE7 doesn't have I don't need anyway. I think MS have fought back with a good and long overdue update. And it's good old strengths are still there -- multimedia plug-ins work seamlessly without requiring a degree in physics, and website compatibility is first class.

Don't forget, nobody knows how Windows works better than MS, and that goes for the applications that run on it as well.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Opera is the answer
Opera created tabbed browsing,offers fast integrated downloading,allows drag and drop everywhere and positioning of various toolbars to top, right, bottom, or left. Opera has a one-click log-in button and can be skinned a thousand different ways. Automatic pop-up blocker, one click switch between author and user display modes, fit-to-width button(no more horizontal scroll bar), complete control over cookies, and site preferences which allow peculiar settings for cookies, java, and more specifically for a certain page, and a content blocker that can stop almost anything, including the annoying smilies to my left as I type here. Opera's control interface is straightforward and intuitive. I downed Opera and had it set up and was cruising in about 20 min. Opera has built-in voice and mouse gesture support that are easily turned on and off. Opera is fully standards compliant. Once in a while I'll go out on FF but after just a few pages start to miss the ease with which Opera does the things automatically that FF needs several clicks to do. In my opinion, Opera is a better choice for those who have only used IE in the past. Try Opera for 3 days-you'll never go back.

trid2bnrml

trid2bnrml

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've used Opera too, and if I couldn't have Firefox, Opera would be my second choice.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Opera may be fully "standards compliant" but that's no advantage if many websites are not compliant because they are optimised for IE. The point is, you'll get far fewer page display problems if you use IE simply because IE doesn't comply 100% with the standards. That's a blessing, not a criticism.

People criticise Microsoft for creating it's own proprietary HTML standards, but the fact is those standards are now so well established and IE still by far the market leader that website-builders always use IE as the primary testing platform. I say it's no good bucking against what works best just to bash Microsoft -- in reality you're bashing yourself.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I will admit, that after much beta testing, IE7 has elevated itself, in my mind...to a usable status...I complained endlessly about its speed. Netscape would leave it in its dust...just too many obstacles for hackers/crackers, et al, to try to manoeuvre around making it the slowest of them all... The baddies could care less about anything but MS, so they had to work really hard and put some REAL content into it...

I still prefer NETSCAPE...and when they get the mail thing sorted out, it will be still the best... :whistling: No worries about the baddies attacking it like OUTLOOK...