Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replaced ram stick but computer is unbelievably laggy

• Please log in to reply

jycottonmouth

jycottonmouth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have 3 slots for ram sticks, and they all had 128 megabyte ram sticks in them. my friend gave me a 128 ram stick, and he said it was probably better than the ones i already have, so i replaced it. i installed the 2 ram sticks myself before i did this. so i knew what i was doing.

well i started the computer after i replaced it and at the first loading screen, it said floppy drive could not be detected or something. it said press f1 to continue so i pressed f1, then it went to this screen and it said "windows will begin normaly in 30 seconds" or something like that and counted down. well windows started up but everything was slooooooooow. it took like 10 minutes for everything to load and function. then i tried to go into mozilla and it came up 5 minutes later.

so i replaced the ram stick again so that it was same as before, but its still unbelievably laggy. anyone know why? and if so, i would like to know what i can do to fix this.

note: while i was installing the ram stick, i tried for force it in a little bit, but not too hard so that it would break or scratch any of the hardware.... or i think so...

Advertisements

Harry1282

Harry1282

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have changed RAM sticks before. When you do it, you should take out ALL of the sticks then put ALL of them back in. They are really hard to push in all of the way on my computer, so make sure the metal prongs go deep into the slot. Hope this works! :whistling: