Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Gaming PC, £600 Budget

• Please log in to reply

DavidAHunt

DavidAHunt

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Guys, My brother needs a new pc built for him in time or christmas and i have came upwith a build that fits his budget, but, im looking for advice on wether or not the build will work well (note, pc is being built from the overclockers.co.uk site)

The possible build is as follows

BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
£117.49

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB)
£135.11

Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
£152.74

Corsair 1GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x512MB)
£103.39

X-Blade Gaming Midi Tower Case - Silver (No PSU)
£34.02

Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU
£56.39

Ths all comes within the £600 budget at £599

All other parts such as CD Drives, HDDs and soundcard are going to be recycled from another pc that has died. So, do you think this build will work well with playing games such as the total war series and Batlefield series. Thanks in advance

David

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
With that low a budget you would probably be better with an AM2 system from AMD the mobos are much better and alot cheaper about half the price so you can spend more on the CPU thus getting a faster system. Other than that looks fine although you might want to switch the case and ditch the PSU and get an Antec sonata 2 it has fans and PSU included in the price and its a by far better case, generally cases in the "Other" section are pretty poor.

To play battlefield and newer games you really want to push to 2Gb of ram if you can one doesn't really cut it with the battlefield games. Mind you they are going even more out of fashion pretty fast so [bleep] probably not be playing them so much.

Mobo i would get one of the n-force 570 boards or a crossfire one both should run £60-80 saving you about the same which you can spend on more memory/better gfx/faster CPU or whatever you like. Abit, MSI or Gigabyte are your best bet. Then get either a 4200+ X2 or a 4600+ X2 either of which are just as good as the 6300 from Intel and you have an AM2 mobo which will work with the new AMD chips next year AND will be compatible with the next chip set from AMD the AM3.

Shop around once you know what you are getting i use overclockers allot because they have the best site and selection however they are a bit more expensive and to be honest the after service sucks they never reply more than once and you cant directly email them. I usually find Ebuyer or Scan better for price and Ebuyer is as bad as overclockers for customer services and since they are cheaper its not as bad.