Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Problems

• Please log in to reply

shanepsmith

shanepsmith

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, I am new here.

I have just built my new PC and when I go to turn it on it turns on, but then it will shut off in 3-10 seconds. I checked everything to be plugged in right and I checked to see that all my fans were running and everything runs. Just the monitor doesnt come on and it then shuts down. Any solutions?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi and Welcome to Geeks To Go!

what are the specs of your computer? i.e Motherboard, CPU, RAM, grahics card, Harddrive, disk drives, PSU and the whole lot this will help us much more to diagnose your problems.

Does the PC stay on long enough for you to hear a BIOS beep? this can tell you alot of things about whats wrong if you can hear the beep.

well first of all i would suggest removing everything from the inside of your case and placing your motherboard on a peice of cadboard on the ground. When your motherboard is on teh cardboard only install the bare minimum that is:

1) Your CPU and make sure you have the heatsink and fan assembally on and pluged in with good thermal paste applied
2) 1 stick of RAM only (make sure its in the first slot)
3) Power supply (make sure that the 20-pin and the 4-pin plugs are both inserted)
4) Graphics card (could you please tell me what interface its running on? i.e AGP, PCI-X)
5) You can plug in your monitor and keyboard and mouse. (are they both wired? sometimes wireless wont work in the BIOS)
6) 1 hard drive

The reason why you will be placing the board and components on a peice of cardboard is to eliminate the possabiliuty that there is a short inside your case.
Did you use stand-offs when installing the motherboard?
and
Did you use an anti-static wrist band? Computer components are very sensative to static electricity and you can damage them very easily.

Another though after you have done teh cardboard thing and that doesnt work maybe we will swap the power supply with a different one in case that is the problem.

i hope that starts you off if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!

troppo

shanepsmith

shanepsmith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok well I got my computer to actually run, but now I have figured out that my video card is not working. I am pretty sure that a Radeon X800 XL is a 16 where as my motherboard is a Asus P5LD2 Deluxe. It says it supports 2x PCI-E x16.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
i had this problem too when i did a mobo install boot it up with ur onboard video install all the drivers and updates for ur radeon card and then put the card back in and start it up again. if the drivers are not there ati video cards don;t usually run try this and u should be fine

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well Dan the thing is not all motherboards come with on-board grahics actually onboard grahics on a good motherboard is highly rare

this asus motherboard does not have on-board grahics.

so your saying that your not sure weather or not your grahics card is Pci-Express or AGP?
asus boards are known to have many problems like bugs and things i would suggest returning the board for another one

dont get me wrong Asus boards are great when they are working but to get them to that stage is sometimes difficult

RMA the board for another one and see if that fixes the problem?

troppo